cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hail Damage Repair - 97 Starcraft

tmmahre
Explorer
Explorer
Any one have suggestion on how to repair holes left from hail in a 97 Starcraft popup? Not looking to replace the roof at this time. We thought of filling with caulk, but it has styrofoam under the roof material. Someone said that some kinds of caulk can basically melt the styrofoam. Not sure what the roof is even made of.
6 REPLIES 6

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
MarineTex. Comes in white (for fiberglass hull repairs) but is a first class epoxy compound that will not yellow. Used it on my aluminum Jayco top with great success.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a large dent in my Jayco pop-up roof. There was a tiny split under the metal roof exposing the foam layer. I mixed up some model aircraft 2-part foam safe epoxy and let it flow into the dent/hole until level with the roof. Then I used matching touch up paint to cover the repair. No issues and almost impossible to detect the repair.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
On a 1997 probably no ins.
If there are actual holes, not much but a replacement will fix the problem. You could try pulling the metal up from the holes to as level as you can and patch with eternabond tape. That would still be a temp fix.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
First choice would be Eternabond tape look on YouTube for repair videos using the tape to repair holes

Second choice stuff they advertise on TV kind of a spray on rubber with several coats it gets really thick and strong. It comes in a variety of colors. I've seen it at the home centers/ building material supply stores.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make patches with Eternabond?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
whats your insurer say?