cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heat ideas

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
booked a weekend and the forcast is a but chilly. we ususaly camp with electricity. Not this time. Now I'm not too worried (talking 50's not freezing) but I have 2 little ones (one under a year). Any ideas on how to warm the camper without electricity or using the furnace (I don't trust the 30 year old furnace with my kids)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
46 REPLIES 46

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
NEVER use a portable propane heater inside a trailer! Portable propane heaters are NOT designed for use in such a confined space, and the threat of co poisoning or even death is very real.

Why not use the trailers heater? It is vented outside and the fan runs on 12 volts.

Some are designed for indoor use, including the model the previous poster recommended. I own a Buddy heater, and the manufacturer's literature says they are fine in an RV as long as the proper ventilation procedures are followed. It works fine, puts out loads of heat, and uses little gas. I just spent three nights in a popup with night time low temps in the mid 30s, the Buddy heater kept it toasty, and used less than 20 lb of propane.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends on what you are used to. I have snowshoed into a camp and slept under a lean-to with a fire in front. That does not mean I expect others to.

If I were the OP I would check out the furnace and use it. TTs are designed to be self-contained. The use of a good set of blankets is also a good idea.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

They also have range hoods that vent the combustion products and moisture. That and you don't have the stove on while you are sleeping.

This is also true. My current camper does not have a range hood vented outside. It's still never caused a problem (again.... for quick and immediate heat).

Never slept with a stove burner on either. I wouldn't do that, or even suggest it either.

Another option, if you have one in your camper, is to light the oven and leave the oven door ajar a little bit. This will also create a LOT of heat quickly, and a bit safer than a burner on the top of the stove. At most, the oven door will accidentally get shut. I have done this also when temps outside were zero or below and felt more comfortable letting it run much longer than the stove top.

totaldla
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
totaldla wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
NEVER use a portable propane heater inside a trailer! Portable propane heaters are NOT designed for use in such a confined space, and the threat of co poisoning or even death is very real.

Why not use the trailers heater? It is vented outside and the fan runs on 12 volts.

You are just about completely wrong, and I know you have zero supporting data.

Are you serious?? Do you know how to use Google? If so, Google dangers of portable propane heaters, co poisoning, using portable propane heaters indoors, etc. That will give you plenty of data. The truth is co is undetectable (except by a co detector - you can't smell it) and it is deadly. Co can build to deadly levels quickly, especially in a space as small as a trailer.

Very serious. People like you parrot tbe same old tired half-truths and never, ever research the issue themselves. If you knew anything about the technology, or at least something about the fatalities, you'd know that a "mr. Buddy" type heater is safe.

I'm speaking up because misinformation isn't against the law on a forum.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
If yoy can cook on a gas stove top in your camper, you can also use the same stove top for quick and immediate heat. I have often times turned on all three burners to initially heat up the camper. The CO detector has never sounded an alarm. I suppose if it did, it would be equally as dangerous to even cook on it too.

They also have range hoods that vent the combustion products and moisture. That and you don't have the stove on while you are sleeping.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Mr Heater Buddy made for tents, we have used for 8 years in tents, truck campers, and now if I need to the TT, just open a window a couple inches and crack open the top vent, you camper should have a carbon monoxide alarm along with the shut off on the heater.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
and just fire up a stovetop percolator in the morning to take any edge off it.

Take the edge off "what"? THe percolator?
Bob

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
If yoy can cook on a gas stove top in your camper, you can also use the same stove top for quick and immediate heat. I have often times turned on all three burners to initially heat up the camper. The CO detector has never sounded an alarm. I suppose if it did, it would be equally as dangerous to even cook on it too.

DutchmenSport, you make a good point. Although using a stove is not recommended to heat, you did state for quick and immediate heat - but just using the stove top to cook is the same as using a Heater Buddy, but the Heater Buddy has a low oxygen shut off detector and a safety shut off valve were it to fall over.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
I've used our Mr Heater Buddy heater many times with no issues. Low oxygen shut off is built in, keep the place vented, etc. The heater can be placed right on the cook top where it should be out of the way. Use the heater to get the place toasty before going to bed, then shut it off.

We just got back from camping where the nights were below freezing. Our little trailer never dropped below 50 with just the two of us in it and furnace off. 50 is not that cold, especially if you're under a blanket. It's perfect sleeping temp. Your camper will probably be totally comfy inside if it's 50 outside.

A few years ago, when my wife was undergoing chemo, she would freeze and just couldn't get warm, especially during the treatment. I bought a 12v throw blanket that draws 3 - 4 amps I think. It would last a couple hours on the little battery pack I added to it. Just a thought.

We do the same - place it on the counter top, vent a window, and turn it off when we go to bed, or turn it on when we wake up. We camp often in late fall, so we use it during the day. At night we use our furnace and set the thermostat to 45. First person up in the morning turns on the Mr. Heater to take the chill off.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get a battery operated CO detector and use the furnace.

Actually in a 30 year old trailer get a new propane/CO combination detector, a new CO detector and a new smoke detector.

Still 50 degrees should be perfect for no heat needed. Even an extra blanket could have those little ones overheated.

Oh for the excitement to be a parent for the first time again... don't forget to have fun! Take lots of pictures. We started an RV travel log notebook with DD first trip that has a short story for every camp trip. Really enjoy looking back sometimes.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
totaldla wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

You are just about completely wrong, and I know you have zero supporting data.

Are you serious?? Do you know how to use Google? If so, Google dangers of portable propane heaters, co poisoning, using portable propane heaters indoors, etc. That will give you plenty of data. The truth is co is undetectable (except by a co detector - you can't smell it) and it is deadly. Co can build to deadly levels quickly, especially in a space as small as a trailer.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've used our Mr Heater Buddy heater many times with no issues. Low oxygen shut off is built in, keep the place vented, etc. The heater can be placed right on the cook top where it should be out of the way. Use the heater to get the place toasty before going to bed, then shut it off.

We just got back from camping where the nights were below freezing. Our little trailer never dropped below 50 with just the two of us in it and furnace off. 50 is not that cold, especially if you're under a blanket. It's perfect sleeping temp. Your camper will probably be totally comfy inside if it's 50 outside.

A few years ago, when my wife was undergoing chemo, she would freeze and just couldn't get warm, especially during the treatment. I bought a 12v throw blanket that draws 3 - 4 amps I think. It would last a couple hours on the little battery pack I added to it. Just a thought.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
more advice and opinions on mr buddy style heaters welcome. only ever used min in the ice fishing shelter (tent)