cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heated RV Drinking Water Hose

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new Camco 50 foot heated water hose, was using it over the weekend, it was only 20 degrees outside and it froze up. I did have to use an extension cord to get power to the hose, but used a 12 gauge cord. The plug on the hose was always light up. The plug in end was at the camper, and seams to be where it froze. I connected it directly to the city water hook up.

What was I doing wrong? Box says keeps from freezing down to -20.

Is there a way to see if it is working?
20 REPLIES 20

kimbo1
Explorer
Explorer
are you sure that the city water haydrant wasn't frozen?

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
Golfcart, It was plugged in about 36 hours before I had issues, 1st night was only about 30 for the low. But that would be a great idea to pre warm before using. Thanks for input.

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
My fresh water tank is not enclosed or heated or I would, and its too close to the slide track under the camper to enclose very E-Z.
But thanks for the idea.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
12 gauge cord. the wire size of his extension cord.

as for the hose warmer. I dont have any experience with them but if they are anything like other low heat warmers it probably needs to be plugged for quite some time before it will work as intended

Try pre warming the hose inside your trailer/rv before you hook it up and plug it in. It might give you a jump start on actually keeping the hose warm

kinda like the crappy engine block heater on my truck lol. Doesnt really do much good if the engine is already cold.. But if i plug it in right after i get home it would do its job
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a refund and use your water tank during cold spells.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
what do you mean you use a 12 gauge hose