cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

heater warm up ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assume that the only issue was to get heat into the truck cab as soon as possible ! Would you start truck and get up to up to hiway RPMs and speed quick or would you maybe travel slower in a lower gear .
Highway speed RPM sounds good except that puts colder air across radiator and motor .
What do ya think ?
53 REPLIES 53

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I posted above relating to my original post so this one mine will not show.

well, now I understand, but that means my sig could be on page one of a umpty ump page post. At times that could end up not being very helpful.

True but if you are the op your info will be there right away.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

well, now I understand, but that means my sig could be on page one of a umpty ump page post. At times that could end up not being very helpful.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If people would fill in their public signature there would be a whole lot less back and forth and less wrong answers!

yes, however I find that about 3/4 of the time my signature doesn't show up, and I have no clue why. For example in my last 4 posts, my signature only shows once.

somewhat confusing.

and I always have the box checked that says your sig will appear below your post.

So if someone can tell me what is going on, that would be great.

and this post is one example of when my sig for whatever reason doesn't post.

Your first post on a topic it will show.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your signature only shows up in your first post on a thread.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If people would fill in their public signature there would be a whole lot less back and forth and less wrong answers!

yes, however I find that about 3/4 of the time my signature doesn't show up, and I have no clue why. For example in my last 4 posts, my signature only shows once.

somewhat confusing.

and I always have the box checked that says your sig will appear below your post.

So if someone can tell me what is going on, that would be great.

and this post is one example of when my sig for whatever reason doesn't post.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
How do ya get the ex brake to work with out having a foot on the pedal ?

at least on GM, when you enable the high idle warm up the ECM sets the turbo vanes for max backpressure, just like when you step on the brakes with the exhaust brake turned on.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do ya get the ex brake to work with out having a foot on the pedal ?

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
:B Oregonians rock!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
ktmrfs- sounds good. Butttttt- maybe I'm still not understanding- can you set it so the exhaust brake comes on or not? Cause if not, it doesn't do me any good; I'm not going to let my truck set there 15-20 minutes idling. And- the diesel supplement. Thanks for that info! I knew it existed and had always planned on getting and reading it, but completely forgot. Again, thank you very much. Very informative.

yes, the auto warm up cycle bumps the idle speed AND sets the turbo (exhaust brake) for max backpressure. Mine will warm up in 5 minutes or so.

instructions are either in the diesel suppliment or the infosystem configuration menu description.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs- sounds good. Butttttt- maybe I'm still not understanding- can you set it so the exhaust brake comes on or not? Cause if not, it doesn't do me any good; I'm not going to let my truck set there 15-20 minutes idling. And- the diesel supplement. Thanks for that info! I knew it existed and had always planned on getting and reading it, but completely forgot. Again, thank you very much. Very informative.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
ktmrfs- Okay, I'm going to get my manual out and try it. Never remember reading about that in my manual, but if you say it's so, I will find out. As far as the high idle set with cruise control, I have to disagree. In high idle with exhaust brake on, my truck, as I said before, is warm and toasty in 5 minutes. Thanks for the info!

the info on setting the automatic "warm up" is in the diesel supplement. On my 04.5 w/o the DIC the procedure involved turning ignition on, hitting either gas or brakes x times in y seconds then turning the ignition off. Once set it would come on whenever I started the truck under cold enough conditions with parking brake set etc. etc.

On my 15 Denali with the DIC it is set in the setup screen and you either turn it on or off. again, once set it will come on automatically.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
ktmrfs- Okay, I'm going to get my manual out and try it. Never remember reading about that in my manual, but if you say it's so, I will find out. As far as the high idle set with cruise control, I have to disagree. In high idle with exhaust brake on, my truck, as I said before, is warm and toasty in 5 minutes. Thanks for the info!

yes, the exhaust brake helps the warmup. but if you don' turn on the exhaust brake, then it takes a long time to warm up.