cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

height? / good wide folding stool for pop up truck camper

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
height? / good wide folding stool for pop up truck camper: roof latches / AluCab 270

Hi all
?
In a few months we get our Hallmark RV (yay!) and I'll need to purchase in advance a good wide folding stool for this pop up truck camper: so I can open and close the roof latches , and also deploy the AluCab 270 awning. 

Any guesses as to how tall of the wide folding stool or platform i'll need? 

This kind looks good, but it only gets me 9" height. I strongly suspect not high enough. Any thoughts?
?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G258I0G

It'll be on a 4X4 F350 with 18" rims and mild AT tires. 

Keep in mind sometimes we'll be camping on uneven ground, off road, so a traditional step ladder with the frame running across the bottom would be unstable. 4 legs would be much better. 

Thanks for any and all suggestions. 🙂

J. 
6 REPLIES 6

Bedlam
I've had the above HF step for over 10 years even though I have banged it up pretty good. The work platform from Werner is also something I own when I need more height and it has also held up well.

My F250 with 33" tall 275/70R18 tires was under 7' at the top of the cab. With my 6'+ height and long arms, I might be able to reach pop camper latches without a stool but it would make tucking in the sides difficult when retracting the roof.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NatParkJunkie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use this. Harbor Freight frequently has a coupon for it too
https://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the rubbermaid ez fold step stool for entry and high reaches. It is 2 steps and the whole thing hinges at top instead of folding each leg. Second step is 18" high.

If you get one, suggest putting bolts through the upper step pivots for safety.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 2 18" drywall benches with us, one in the inside and one in our outside compartment. We got them at Lowe's on Black Friday about 10 years ago. They have them every year or two for $25 each.

This is the one we use.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
We use the 9" Camco with our NL on F350 with 18" tires. The wide leg stance makes it very stable. We had the plastic Costco folding stool, and it was very tippy in comparison.

--SiletzSpey

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do have the linked step in adjustable and black and it comes very handy for times when I drop the camper and need solid step before my bumper.
It has its limit.
Coming from construction, I do have lot of friends who had accidents due to cheap ladders and I think due those accidents some of designs available 40 years ago are no longer available.
So long story short, if you need to go more than 2 feet up, get Little Giant in the size that fits your needs best.
You will thank me later.