cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help buying a small travel trailer

Max-4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, this is my first post and I am very excited to be joining this great group! My family of 4 is in the market for a small travel trailer in the near future. I am looking for something in the 21' overall length and around 4000 pounds gross weight. I own a 2017 Toyota Highlander with 5000 towing capacity so id like something that this SUV could manage without too much difficulty.

The particular model that we are looking for is called a "bunkhouse" so when you walk in we are looking for a permanent queen size bed on your right (not Murphy bed) and the bunk beds in the back. I guess most of these models have the designation "BH" after their model numbers to specify this.

I am fully aware of the way the industry works I know that there are only two major manufactures Thor and Forest river and they are all made within 10 miles of eachother. I am also located in Canada so if we quote prices you will have to keep in mind that I will be paying the CDN premium.

I have gotten an idea of what new models like the Wolf PUP 16BHS sells for which is $26,000 or the Salem 177BH which is $23,000 the Rockwood Geo Pro G19BH is $32,000 the Apex Nano 185BH sells for $26,000 and Jayco Jayflight SLX7 174BH is $23,000.

I guess my questions are am I going to find something with aluminum construction for the lower price of the Salem or Jayco? in these smaller travel trailers how does the quality of a Wolf Pup vs an Apex vs a Coachman vs a Jayco compare? I am also looking at a Salem FSX 177BH which im assuming is the same as a Forest River FSX 177BH?

Also is a 54x80 going to be the biggest "queen" bed I can get in this type of model trailer? Any information you guys could give me about build quality, add ons ownership would be awesome. is there any other manufactures by THOR that I should consider besides Jayco? Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

Max-4
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:
Does the Highlander have a receiver and 7way plug? Seems like a pop up trailer would be better to start with. Your mirrors will work without replacing them. What size v6, 3 liter? Itโ€™s built on the Camry platform.

My 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD has a 3.5L V6 and makes 295hp and 263 lb-ft of torque. It has a max tow rating of 5000 pounds and I do have a proper hitch installed but I will have to upgrade from a 4 way to a 7 way plug and get a trailer brake controller installed, not a problem.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Max-4 wrote:
So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer?

3900 pounds is almost 80 percent of the Highlander's absolute maximum capacity - and that's before even considering the weight of passengers and their possessions riding in the vehicle.

A lot of folks (including myself) regard 80 percent as being the dividing line between "adequate" and "dangerous under certain conditions".

Also, 21 feet is quite a bit of trailer for a mid-sized SUV. You're definitely going to the effects of crosswinds and passing semi trucks.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Max-4 wrote:
So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer? I'm not talking dry weight, most of the trailers I quoted above are under 4000 pounds gross weight. Thanks

It may or may not be. You need to determine payload needs and limits for the vehicle, cargo capacity and needs for the trailers (some trailers will use up the cargo capacity just by filling the fresh water tank), road types and terrain, distance, and so on.

You have to look at more than just those two numbers (gvwr and tow capacity) to determine if it will work.

In addition, with four kids in the car, you may not feel comfortable towing something that "pushes" you down a grade. So that may mean going lighter than you are estimating.

You might see about renting or borrowing a trailer of similar weight and size and see how it feels to tow it before making a decision.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Highlander have a receiver and 7way plug? Seems like a pop up trailer would be better to start with. Your mirrors will work without replacing them. What size v6, 3 liter? Itโ€™s built on the Camry platform.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at Taylor Coach? They'll build custom (but you'd have to wait for it) and their units are relatively light weight.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldn't worry about aluminum siding. We've had both and I prefer aluminum. It's rare to find a fiberglass unit over 5yrs old without delamination. It's not unusual to find 20yr old aluminum trailers where it may look dated but otherwise in perfect condition.

Probably the biggest concern I see with the Wolf Pup is it only has 780lb of cargo capacity. 80lb of propane, 60lb battery and 200lb of water...and you've eaten up 50% of your capacity...For a family of 4 staying under 1200-1500lb takes effort. That means you are will be tempted to put more gear in the truck and overload the truck.

Check the payload sticker on the door (or better swing by a CAT scale and find the real weights and check vs the truck GVWR)...I did a quick online search and 13XXlb payload seems to by typical.
- 4 people at 150lb = 600lb (the kids will grow)
- Hitch weight should be up around 600lb
- Hitch might weigh 100lb
- That's it, don't pack a cooler or anything else in the truck or you are over weight.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Max-4
Explorer
Explorer
So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer? I'm not talking dry weight, most of the trailers I quoted above are under 4000 pounds gross weight. Thanks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You will get a lot more space with a hybrid.

Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't meet all your check boxes but a Sportsmen 180BH or181BH may work for you. The 190BH may be pushing it.

I wouldn't buy anything new right now. I spoke to a Forest River rep a few weeks ago and she even admitted their quality has suffered due to COVID. Look for something 2 years old. When a manufacturer's parts rep says don't buy new I take note.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to towing capacity, you need to look at the hylander's payload. That is where you are most likely to max out.

Payload must be equal or less than the sum of: weight of all passengers and pets, weight over 150lbs of driver, all supplies and stuff put in or on the vehicle, AND 10-15 percent of the trailer's GVWR (known as tongue weight).

Also consider the ages of your kids and how quickly they will have that major growth spurt. A girl of 5 will have years of being small, a boy of 11 can grow huge overnight. So work the numbers to make sure you won't outweigh your payload within a year or two.

In regards to the various brands, I would go look at what's on the lots and check the build quality in person. RVs aren't built by automation, so one trailer can vary in quality from another of the same make and model. Also, spend some time inside acting out your morning and nighttime routines - make sure this layout won't make it impossible to get everyone up and dressed without major contortions.

If you're kids are or near that "growth spurt" edge, make sure the bunkbeds will be big enough - some are short and narrow, some are claustrophic, and so on.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.forestriverclassifieds.com/2021-forest-river-cherokee-wolf-pup-16bhs-1557https://www.forestriverclassifieds.com/2021-forest-river-cherokee-wolf-pup-16bhs-1557

Letโ€™s see if the link worked!!

Looks like it did. This appears to be in North Carolina.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are planning to camp mostly in RV parks with hookups ok. But if you arenโ€™t, adequate fresh water and waste tanks are needed with a family of four unless you want to break camp every couple of days to fill and dump. Propane goes fast too heating water and warming the interior. How were you planning to recharge your batteries? Generators weight about 50 pounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 4000 pound TT will weigh a bunch over 5000 pounds loaded and wet. Iโ€™ll bet youโ€™ll be over the Highlanderโ€™s payload max tooโ€ฆwhat does the sticker say?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Just for your general information only. I once owned a well made non aluminum R-Vision Trail Cruiser rear Bunkhouse (BH) model with a permanent queen bed up front. The trailer was 28 feet long and weighed 4500lbs plus when fully loaded and towed great behind my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 on the plains of Texas.

However I towed the same trailer in the Rockies and west coast mountains with a larger 2002 Ram 2500 V10 4x4. Both trucks had 16 inch wheels and I used Equalizer WDH. Although my Ram 1500 was authorized to pull a 6000 lb trailer I would never and did not attempt to pull the this trailer in the mountains with this truck.

Except on delivery one will never pull a empty dry weight trailer so the dry weight is only a starting point as one will add water, propane, personal items, food, drinks, dishes, cooking utensils bedding, etc., etc,. to the dry weight of TT.

In addition to the authorized gross combined truck and trailer load limits and hitch limits even with WDH one must not exceed the load limits of the current tires and wheels on the vehicle plus total gross weight of the vehicle per axle with driver, passengers, fuel and other items included. I used the much stronger LT truck tires with load rating of E on both trucks.

CAT scales at truck stops are your friend.

This information may be useful to others if not the OP. Cheers

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You are asking a lot while only providing a limited towing capacity of only 5000 pounds. You are likely to exceed several weight limits.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you settle on.