cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! shopping for a TC

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about getting our first used TC.
We do a lot of winter forest camping and think the TC is right for us.
I own a full size 1/2 ton 4X4 truck with a 6.5 foot bed.
What size TC can I put in this truck?
I want to stay lite weight as possible.

I found a Shadow Cruiser popup that weighs 980 pounds but I think it is too long for my truck bed?
Is there a rule about how much hangs over the bed or tailgate?
Any comments?
mtnman
13 REPLIES 13

jtlingo123
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, I always packed everything in the front part of the TC to make sure to keep as much weight forward as possible which helps with the whole center of gravity business.

Josh
Josh Lingo
Snoqualmie,WA.:B

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
We will go Friday to look at that TC.
mtnman

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at some pictures of this used 1,000 pound popup TC, it looks like it comes to the very end of the long bed truck it is sitting on in the pic without the tail gate. That would make the TC 8 feet long, correct? If it is 8 feet long and weighs 1,000 pounds I should be fine with my tail gate down on my 6 1/2 foot bed truck, correct?
mtnman

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
These are great responses! Thank You.

What kind of hardware should I look for with this TC?
Jacks or jack stands or what ever the TC sits on when not on the truck?
What about tie downs the things that hold the TC to the truck while traveling?
Anything else?
mtnman

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Using a tailgate doesn't create a longer truck bed when it comes to center of gravity.

Many truck campers have center of gravity indicated on one side- a point that shows where 1/2 of the camper weight is forward and 1/2 is to the rear. A truck will generally handle very poorly if that COG is behind the rear axle.

Of course someone may reply with a contradiction to this.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful about the advertised weights of campers as they can be well below what the camper ends up weighing. Does the manufacturer include the weight of the battery, full water tank and LPG cylinders? People commonly talk about adding 1000# to the camper weight to get the real weight when they weight their rig with it on - obviously though you won't be carrying as much stuff as that - no aircon unit, generators, large battery banks, TV, etc. But still bear in mind that unless the previous owner had it weight when rigged to go camping he is probably just quoting the dry weight from the brochure.

My camper sticks out about a foot beyond my load bed. I remove the tailgate - no reason carrying extra weight that is doing nothing.

There are a number of manufacturers that make very light popups. Four Wheel Campers for one.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
All Terrain Campers or Four Wheel Campers would be on my short list for your truck. They make lightweight campers specifically for your truck.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
You could also consider a real small off road trailer too... When I tow the boat I make weight by throwing as much stuff as possible into the boat since the trailer is rated to carry at least twice my boats weight.

I've debated a small 4x4 or 4x8 trailer for the times I don't take the boat... just to help out and not have to be so frugal.

Later
C

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
I just have the 4.6 v8, but it worked well towing my 8' pastime with my ~2700lb sailboat/trailer over Blewitt Pass in Wa. I never felt like I didn't have enough power, nor too little brakes, nor too much sway. So far the only mods I've done are the Timbren's on the rear.

I'll probably swap those out for springs that have a higher capacity though. I tow without the camper on, and they are just too rough in those circumstances.

I mention the weight because most, if not all, campers weigh more than they claim. I think my Pastime is pretty close to advertised weight, but it still was a good 100 or so lbs more than it should have been when doing the math with their numbers. So i'd probably expect a 980 lb camper to really be more like 1100-1200 dry, then start adding in all the extra "crap" you want to take with you.

You'll be over for sure... just depends how much. As I noted, a lot of people on here have no problem overloading an SD/3/4/1T truck, but shoot bricks at the thought of overloading a 1/2 ton by even 20 lbs.

Later
C

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
putting a TC on a 1/2 ton isn't impossible

That is what I am thinking, we actually live in the forest and just want something to drive about 5-20 miles on dirt forest roads to some favorites spots to stay overnight with. My truck is a F150 with the 5.4 engine. We have towed 3000 to 4000 pound TT out across country a few times and I do not like heave loads. We sold our travel trailer but We still have our Class A for long distance traveling.

The 980 pounds is what the owner told me the Shadow Cruiser weighs. It is a 1993 model. I have not seen it yet but I wanted to be prepared to buy it once I make the trip.
mtnman

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
mtnman, same here... F-150 4x4 6 1/2 foot bed... I run an 8' Pastime camper that weighs 1400lbs dry as I recall. I'm definitely over GVW, but within Axle ratings, and GCVW when I tow.

Do you know it weighs that 9xx lbs? or is that what the sticker says? If sticker, it's likely to be heavier than that.

You'll have to pack sparely, which I do to keep things light. But putting a TC on a 1/2 ton isn't even remotely as impossible as some guys on these forums think it is.

Later
C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weigh your truck and subtract that weight from the trucks payload.
Your rear tires and wheels will be the limiting factor because you will carrying most of the weight on the rear.
If the camper hangs over the rear you can damage the bottom of the camper if the tailgate is in place, just be careful if you do that. Damage to tailgate from stones kicking up as well .

tailgate info

jtlingo123
Explorer
Explorer
I think a pop up would be perfect for your truck. I always had the tail gate down with my TC and never had any problems.

Good Luck!

Josh
Josh Lingo
Snoqualmie,WA.:B