cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hi, I'm a new guy here...

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am a new guy on the forums, just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 42 year old trucker and I want to get a camper to enjoy my days off a little better. I am used to living in a semi-truck for 5-10 days at a time, so a truck camper will be an upSIZE for us (wife and I). We live in northern CA by Shasta Lake and want to take weekend trips to the lake, over to the coast or up into OR... for now. Anyhow, I am going to browse the forums and try to learn what I can from stuff that is already posted. Hope to be "accepted", Chris.
18 REPLIES 18

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Rick4x4x4,
Careful there. New guy has one similar to yours except yours is 4x4x4, while his is simply 4x4. The difference can be measured on narrow winding jeep trails or parking in a space that's too short for any other rig to fit. How do I know this?
Also, I've always thought that driver ability trumps under strength rigs every time.
jefe

jefe, Thanks for correcting my math.

Chris, Welcome to the TC forum.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Rick4x4x4,
Careful there. New guy has one similar to yours except yours is 4x4x4, while his is simply 4x4. The difference can be measured on narrow winding jeep trails or parking in a space that's too short for any other rig to fit. How do I know this?
Also, I've always thought that driver ability trumps under strength rigs every time.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
also go to mellow mike web page some really good information there.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
i5trucker wrote:
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500, extended cab, 4x4, 6'6" bed, 5.3 liter gas engine, automatic trans., tow/haul package.

Hey! Me too. :C
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum!

Paul

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that bigger is better, but like I posted above, I had a mid-80's Lance and my truck hauled it okay. I don't mind taking life slow and easy, half the fun is getting there.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and beware of the 3/4 and 1 ton guys they give ya down the road on using a half ton with a truck camper. Have fun this is a very informative forum.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone, I have been reading and doing some responding. Signing off for now.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the truck camper forum, Chris. Lurk around in here and you'll learn a lot from knowledgeable individuals by going through some old and new posts. Ask plenty of questions as you'll get a ton of expert answers from the folks here on this forum who have been truck camping for many years.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, scroll down to advice on truck campers- OP Suzan. Lots of great info. Good luck with your search.

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome chris, alot of good knowledgeable people here, hang around and you'll learn alot and see some good pictures.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a camper that will fit my truck and be good for 1-3 night trips. I don't need granite counter tops or tile floors, just basic camper stuff.

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500, extended cab, 4x4, 6'6" bed, 5.3 liter gas engine, automatic trans., tow/haul package. Last summer I bought a mid-80's Lance Cabover Camper and the truck seemed to haul it okay, but the camper needed to much repairs and I sold it.