cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High miles F 150 EcoBoost V6

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford F 150 with the EcoBoost V6 has been around for some time now. Enough time for some high miles to accumulate.

My question is for owners of F 150's with the EcoBoost V6.

• Do you use your truck for towing or no towing...just a daily driver ?
  • How many miles have you accumulated ?
  • Have you had any issues with it ?
  • Were these issues reoccurring a number of times or just once ?
  • Do you feel that smaller turbocharged gas engines in both half tons and eventually heavier duty pickups will be the future ? If so why, if not, why not ?
  • Would you buy another turbocharged gas truck?

My personal opinion is that the F 150 Turbocharged gas V6 has generally been relatively trouble free and has proved itself.

I think it maybe the model for truck of the future. The jury is out on the new F 150 with the 2.7 liter turbo gas V6 engine....because to me how small can you go for a truck engine...even though it's turbocharged.

The only issue I've heard is that some had some problems with moisture in the turbos...don't think this was exactly it...but something did cause some issues. Haven't heard much about it, so I assume that the fix was made and the issue became a non issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've followed the F 150 EcoBoost V6 since it's introduction. I think it has and or will.... play a very significant part in the evolution of the modern light and possibly heavier duty P/U.

What's your view ?
59 REPLIES 59

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Les but when someone calls me a liar I'm not going to roll over and run away. I didn't start the MPG discussion and provided links when asked to. Sorry my links don't fit into Fordlovers Blue world but tuff get over it Tex.

Don't worry this will be my last post since some don't want facts. BTW Tex I was never talking about the current EB trucks but the first modle years. Again don't let the facts get in the way there Tex.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much appreciated Fordlover.

Les

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
No one out there has more than 100,000 miles on there eco boost ? just not to many high mile yet . Just curious on those with high miles on them. Just have to see if few years.

must be plenty if you count the cars,been around for years now.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
No one out there has more than 100,000 miles on there eco boost ? just not to many high mile yet . Just curious on those with high miles on them. Just have to see if few years.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Any comment on the baja accomplishment ? This thread is about durability after all ๐Ÿ™‚
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm the OP and I like the thread. I would ask you to stick to the original thread, as I'm concerned that it maybe shut down if it continues in this direction.

Thanks,

Les

sorry Les, didn't mean to kludge the thread up.

mhamershock wrote:

I'm sick of some of you morons arguing over stupid $hit too. Just the facts, ma'am.

Mike

I actually don't mind opinons, but I feel the need to speak up when lies and damn lies are posted as fact.

While I don't appreciate you calling me a moron (if you are refering to me) at least you didn't post it as fact, just your opinion, so I'm ok with it.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Some guys on the Ford forum are starting to see a trend of cam chain (or associated component) failures on 75k+ mile 3.5 Ecos. I've got 52k miles on mine, tow heavy (8500 lbs) a good bit, and have had a recent warranty repair for blown exhaust manifold gaskets. IMHO the bolt pattern to secure manifolds is a weak design around the rear cylinder.

I have an extended warranty on mine and will be selling it at 95k miles. It's a small motor, and I stress it hard. I think it's going to be an issue over 100K. I also run a 5* tune on mine that adds a good bit of torque and HP so I'm sure that won't help longevity, but the extra power is awesome and I can't drive it now with the stock tune.

I drive normally - not fast or hard on it, except the stress of towing heavy. I get 15-17 normal use, 9-11 towing heavy. With the tune I'm around 400 HP and almost 500 torque, and it's a 2 ton brick, so no complaints on the mileage.

I'm sick of some of you morons arguing over stupid $hit too. Just the facts, ma'am.

Mike

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

durable enough?

Then they drove it back to Detroit.Went as far as to stamp out last years body panels in Al so nobody knew that it really was a 2015
Newmar 34rsks 2008

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked for many years at a Ford dealership, I saw over the years their "many" hits and misses.
The EcoBoost series of engines are overall a huge hit.
High customer satisfaction and very minimal service issues.

Why does reading this thread remind me of this guy who no one took to serious?Funny guy
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
After reading this tread it appears the reliability must be fairly good. If you cut through the haters not much on actual systematic issues.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
If the test for these vehicles need to be changed then they should do it. But again Ford knew these vehicles would not come close to hitting those ratings in real world test. So why list them as factual and piss of your customers.

I suspect that you know this and are just pissed that someone as dumb as me could figure it out, right tex?

Don

Because Federal Law requires it! But perhaps you should send a letter over to Ford advising them to start ignoring the Federal Monroney sticker laws.
:h

Hello guys,

I'm the OP and I like the thread. I would ask you to stick to the original thread, as I'm concerned that it maybe shut down if it continues in this direction.

Thanks,

Les

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
If the test for these vehicles need to be changed then they should do it. But again Ford knew these vehicles would not come close to hitting those ratings in real world test. So why list them as factual and piss of your customers.

I suspect that you know this and are just pissed that someone as dumb as me could figure it out, right tex?

Don

Because Federal Law requires it! But perhaps you should send a letter over to Ford advising them to start ignoring the Federal Monroney sticker laws.
:h

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get 19-21mpgUS with my old 4-spd 4x4 5.3 GMC on extended trips at 65MPH or less. Despite this fact, I constantly heard people complaining about 5.3 mileage. Now, my eco will get 20-22 in the same conditions, yet, apparently there's an ecoboost mileage conspiracy.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)