cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Extension Questions for Pulling a 7 x 14 Cargo Trailer

Mooredb
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at Reese Hitch Adapter - RP45292 34" extension to pull my enclosed cargo trailer (7 x 14 dual axle). Max weight rating for the Reese hitch is 4,500 lbs. I will be pretty close to that weight when the trailer is loaded (4,200 lbs or so)

My truck camper is about 3,200 lbs. The tongue weight for the trailer is about 325 lbs. I am driving a F-350 diesel dually, I should be fine with payload capacity.

Here's my questions.

1) I was looking at the Torklift hitch but those seem fairly pricy and might be overkill for what I need possibly? Do you think I can get by with the Reese hitch adapter? I want to feel and be safe when towing for sure. I'll be traveling all over the country pulling this trailer with the truck camper on it.

2) Also I've been reading that it's nearly impossible to back the trailer up with a hitch extension on of 34". I am not foreign to backing up single axle trailers or dual axle but I've heard it's extremely difficult even for someone with experience backing up.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

DM
31 REPLIES 31

stumper92
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine. The key is de-rating your receiver hitch accordingly based on the length of the extension. As far as backing up, I think it depends more on the length of the trailer verses the length of the tow vehicle. The shorter the trailer with respect to the tow vehicle, the more difficult to back up. That is my experience at least.

NautiqueFamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32-inch Torklift Supertruss Extension with SuperHitch on 2015 Sierra 3500 SB - Single axle. 2500# Northern Lite TC in the bed pulling a 4500# Barefoot Nautique.

Few Comments:

1) The difference between the stock hitch and a Superhitch is night and day. There is no movement of the Supertruss and the trailer is rock solid at all times. (no weight distribution hitch)
2) Double check your tongue weight - the rule of thumb is 10% trailer weight if loaded properly.
3) Look up hitch extension carrying capacities online. You will see that increasing length DRASTICALLY decreases load carrying on a single receiver hitch.
4) There is a SIGNIFICANT cost but you said "want to feel and be safe when towing" - The Superhitch and Supertruss are the tickets.
5) It is fine backing a trailer with an extension. I launch and retrieve my Nautique on about any boat ramp. If there is light, I can get there (even without light at times).

If you are going to traveling all over, don't fret about your hitch. You'll have trailer tires and hubs, low bridges, closed campgrounds, fuel stops and more to think about. Don't max out the hitch - it will keep you and your fellow motorists safer.