cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch height

Kylesmith3021
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking to see if anyone has a hitch height for a starcraft ar maxx 26bh..trying to set up my weight distrubution hitch before i go pick up...i was thinking around 24" to top of ball
3 REPLIES 3

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically with the TT level and TT & TV loaded for camping, you set the ball 1" higher than the coupler to allow for squat in the TV. But if you don't know the frame height, I would guess low so that the TT nose is down rather than up. If you have the tools at home, (sounds like you do), set the ball height when you pick the TT up. You may need to adjust the bar angle too when hooking up the TT and may need your tools anyway.

If picking up at a dealer, whatever you do don't let them anywhere near it.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
When I switched trucks I tried to do a "pre" set-up on the WDH.

Ultimately...it took putting the truck/trailer on level ground, measuring, etc... in order to get it right. Then asking a local mechanic to tighten it for me, because my little torgue wrench don't go that high.

Keep in mind you will be picking up an empty trailer, but will be towing a loaded trailer. Get it close, get it home. Load it up, then make the final adjustments for a good towing experience.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
That should be close . Why not bring your tools and make the adjustment on site ? Set it up at home, if its right , then snug things up on site.

BTW, I have a link for good info re: set ups if you or anyone else .
setting up a hitch

Bob
maybe 24 is too high ?
read the bottom of this link .

http://www.accessory911.com/faqs.asp?view=hitch