cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding tanks in cold weather

bedell
Explorer
Explorer
Should grey and black tanks be completely drained for the winter or do you leave some liquids in them? I have read that the black tank especially should not be allowed to sit totally dry for for long periods of time. How serious would it be if there was some freezing in those tanks?
21 REPLIES 21

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I"m pretty sure JK was just talking about putting the windshield fluid in the holding tanks ONLY.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Never use toxic anti-freeze in your RV systems. The "pink stuff" is safe for drinking water systems and at only $3.47 a gallon at my local Walmart it would be cheap at twice the price vs. the cost of repairs caused by freezing....don't be a dummy...use the pink stuff.

CASE CLOSED !

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I pour some RV antifreeze in each of the sink/shower drains, to fill the P-traps and run some into the gray-water tank(s). Another gallon goes down the toilet. I don't worry about the cost of RV antifreeze vs. blue windshield washer fluid, this is an affordable insurance policy against the cost of potential damage from freezing/thawing. This is part of the assumed cost of RV ownership and the protection of our investment in this form of recreation.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Whats it going to hurt leaving the black or gray tanks dry? Think about it, if the tank is cleaned its just a plastic tank setting around and it doesn't care if its wet or not. Whats leaving 2 or 10 gallons in a 50 gal gray tank going to do, sure if conditions are right the little bit of moisture might evaporate keeping the inside of the tank a little wet but without the right conditions there is a hole lot of plastic not touching the water.

As for leaving liquids in the tank if its not full say 1/2 full there is plenty of room for freezing water to expand so there won't be any problem. The problem can come from freezing around the gate valve as most tanks let water into the exit pipe, freezing here can damage the gate valve and even the sewer pipe when it expands. If you must keep some water in the tanks then add the appropriate amount of anti freeze. I say save your money and leave the tanks dry.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
jk31668 wrote:
blue windshield washer fluid is cheaper and works the same

I wouldn't put it my water lines it's poison.

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
blue windshield washer fluid is cheaper and works the same

kimbo1
Explorer
Explorer
rv antifreeze in every thing....