cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000 runs my A/C

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
I borrowed a friends Honda 2000 generator to test if it would power my A/C.
Plugged it in, turned on A/C - and sure enough, the Honda runs it just fine, both in Lo and Hi cool modes. Fridge was turned on also, nothing else.
I had my kill-a-watt plugged in - voltage went from 127V to 122V when turning the generator on.
Honestly, I was a little surprised that it works. Thinking of getting the 2,000W generator from Costco now for $600 or so, hoping that this one will work also. Worth a try - Costco will take it back if it doesn't work.
What do you guys think?
Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ๐Ÿ™‚
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

28 REPLIES 28

sleepgsr
Explorer
Explorer
phoneguy1212 wrote:
You can always change out that juice hog capacitor yourself and be amazed at the difference.

Please explain. I'm interested in doing something that would make my champion 2000 watt run our ac.
Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't assume the humorously surge INcapable Champion 1700 watt generator sold as a 2000 watt generator is even in the same league as the Honda, in any respect.

The Champion is more honestly a 1600 watt generator, with very modest surge abilities. I have owned 3 of these, and even after the upgrades done under warranty, they were at best a 1600 watt generator.

None of the 3 Champion "2000's" could even handle the initial surge from my, or my parents WFCO 55amp converter when the 2 batteries were discharged. They struggle with loads with a high "Power Factor".
Caveat Emptor.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also should consider where you may be using your generators. This is really a big problem for alot of of campers. On the east side of the US most public camp grounds including the Natl Forest sites all seem to have generator run time restrictions in place. Most we see here on the East side of the US is from 8AM-10AM in the mornings and then again from 4:30PM to 7:30PM. Never see anywhere that allows the generator to run in the evening hours let alone all night long. Most East side Natl Forest areas have the short hours as well and some may allow from 8AM to 8PM. Out west you have alot of dispersed camping where you can do whatever you want I guess.

I see everyone wants to have the generator to run the air conditioners but it amazes me where they think they can run them at public campgrounds. Just doesn't happen where we go camping...

With all of this in mind I decided very quick my best solution was to give up on running the Air Conditioners and high wattage appliances when camping off the power grids and beef-up my trailer to run all the 120VAC things we want to have running from the an Inverter and a very large battery battery bank. The only reason I have my 2KW Honda Generator is to re-charge my battery bank in a quick three hour generator run time every morning starting at 8AM using smart mode charging technology. Once I get the batteries back up to their 90% charge state then we can do it all over again for the next day/night run off the batteries. The saving grace for me was getting a good smart mode converter/charger going and changing all my automotive lights over to LEDs. Also installing at least a 220AH Battery bank would be a must do situation.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dan!
Looks like Costco now does sell the paralleling kit:
http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-Inverter-Generator-Parallel-Kit.product.100120723.html

Maybe that's the way to go!

2012 Jayco X19H

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
f150camper wrote:
The Costco one can be paralleled with a second one?

the one the OP is talking about, is the Smarter Tools Yamaha-powered 2000w inverter generator.
when Costco first started selling them a couple of years ago, they were NOT parallel-capable.
then they were updated with this major improvement.

Costco does not sell the parallel kit though.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
2oldman wrote:
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
why 2 Hondas?
Parallel capability.

having two 2000w inverter generators that are parallel-capable, allows you the freedom to take only one if you aren't going to need a/c but you have the capability with two, to run a 15k a/c.
plus lugging a 50lbs. one is easier than lugging a 3000w+ one that'll weigh over 130lbs.
Honda, Yamaha, Champion and the new one the OP mentions at Costco, have the parallel capability.

I can barely lift the 50 without doing damage so the weight factor would be a huge reason for me to get two instead of 1 3000. Thanks.

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
The 2000 Honda should run the air once it gets past the initial start-up from the heavy capacitors that were put in up to a couple of years ago. I think now the air conditioner is using slow start-up capacitors which is not so taxing on the generator. You can always change out that juice hog capacitor yourself and be amazed at the difference. The comment that using an adapter from 30amp to 15amp will cause heat is totally false, will not hurt it one bit. Not sure I agree with the thought of paying $1200 dollars for two gens when for under six you can have proper size one and use only one can a gas verses two. The whole idea of gens in the first place is you are not in a camp ground and have no electric. So your not in a camp ground and boon-docking(hopefully not in a group of others)so the noise the gen makes should be of little concern unless you don't want to hear it yourself. If the gen is on for the air,so your inside hearing the low roar of the air conditioner, so that's why I don't understand that the gen must be supper quiet. Get a gen that will run what you need it run and not too worry so much on the noise is my opinion.
Almost free Jerry

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
The Costco one can be paralleled with a second one?

2012 Jayco X19H

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
why 2 Hondas?
Parallel capability.

having two 2000w inverter generators that are parallel-capable, allows you the freedom to take only one if you aren't going to need a/c but you have the capability with two, to run a 15k a/c.
plus lugging a 50lbs. one is easier than lugging a 3000w+ one that'll weigh over 130lbs.
Honda, Yamaha, Champion and the new one the OP mentions at Costco, have the parallel capability.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
why 2 Hondas?
Parallel capability.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Costco may be one of the dwindling few stores that will take back gas powered stuff. You may very well have to take it back.

My view is that, although you *can* run air with a 2k genny, it's not a very good idea in the long run. You're working it hard, and over time that will shorten its life, plus, they get pretty loud.

For any long-term serious air con running, get 2 Hondas, and some good gas cans.

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion, but why 2 Hondas?

x5rdman
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you ate not getting a Honda generator from Costco. There are big differences in Honda's performance versus other brands. The other issue is most likely you are using a 15amp plug to 30amp plug converter to plug into the generator. That creates heat so be careful on the adapter.
2008 Jayco Ex-Port 17C
2007 Trailblazer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Costco may be one of the dwindling few stores that will take back gas powered stuff. You may very well have to take it back.

My view is that, although you *can* run air with a 2k genny, it's not a very good idea in the long run. You're working it hard, and over time that will shorten its life, plus, they get pretty loud.

For any long-term serious air con running, get 2 Hondas, and some good gas cans.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing to remember is as you go up in elevation, the wattage of the generator goes down. I have heard of others who were as lucky as you to get the 2000 to run an a/c, but they are few and far between.