cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Host Mammoth Questions

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a 2017 Host Mammoth and looking for some opinions before I start making mods.

1. The table(dinette) and countertop appear to be a fairly soft gelcoat rather than a hard surface. Have they turned out to be easily damaged?

2. The cabinet door next to the entry goes back in there almost 20 inches. We are planning on dishes for the easy to access part, has anyone figured out a good and efficient use for that space?

3. The 1000 watt Xantrex inverter has a 40 amp(12v) fuse and I don't think they make larger ATO of that size. I haven't investigated wire sizes yet. Any ideas why 40 amp instead of 80?
8 REPLIES 8

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
The counter tops do get scuffed up a bit dragging stuf across them but it's not that noticeable. We use the side cabinet for pots and pans. Pans and large pots to the back, sitting upright. We also bought stackable pots from camping world that fits perfectly upfront of that space.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
yblaw wrote:
1. We're on our second Mammoth ('15 & '17). Both have the same countertop material--never had a problem with either.

2. We use the rear portion of the door entry cabinet to store a bluetooth sub-woofer that works with a sound bar above the TV. The Polk Audio sound bar has a voice-enhancer that helps these old ears; big difference when watching movies.....

Enjoy your new TC!

Sub woofer, GREAT IDEA.....................thank you....
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
1. We're on our second Mammoth ('15 & '17). Both have the same countertop material--never had a problem with either.

2. We use the rear portion of the door entry cabinet to store a bluetooth sub-woofer that works with a sound bar above the TV. The Polk Audio sound bar has a voice-enhancer that helps these old ears; big difference when watching movies.....

Enjoy your new TC!

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
On the Inverter ours is the same setup, just a smaller size fuse holder.

On the cabinet the lady of the house has decided that this area is for dishes. Right now the back corner will be dedicated to paper storage.

Of course she then says "everything is subject to change" after living in it for a while.

We use the inverter for DVD and charging. Haven't had real TV since about 1980 so the bedroom one will go. Had a 2kw Magnum converter for a camper we took to SA, but then we had 4 batteries and a remote generator so we could run microwave and coffee.

Thanks for the input.

Bedlam
We also use the cabinet next to the door for shoes. Way in the back are all my reference manuals, while shoes, umbrellas and flashlight are up front.

My inverter also powers a receptacle in the pantry ceiling. This powers the bedroom TV and (in my case) EVDO router with WiFi.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
DSSAMP wrote:
My question is why did they only include the tv's on the converter? Seems like you could run a small coffee pot with a 1000 watt converter???

I agree and asked the same question when I was at Host. The answer was to provide ample power if customer also wants to run sat dish, DVR, or anything else from that receptacle. The inverter is wired to a duplex outlet next to the TV so you could plug whatever you want into the other outlet. In addition there is a second empty receptacle on the inverter itself so you could run additional power line from the inverter to where ever you want. I was thinking about setting up a 110 plug to run smaller appliances outside.

We are running a 2800 watt whole house wired inverter. The smaller inverter is nice if you don't need that much, but you are correct for the TV a 300 watt inverter would have been ample.

And yes you can run a small coffee pot. Our Keurig only peaks at 600 watts.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

DSSAMP
Explorer
Explorer
My question is why did they only include the tv's on the converter? Seems like you could run a small coffee pot with a 1000 watt converter???

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new camper!

1. No issues so far but ours is new as well. I have been using the counters and table as a work space for tools. So far, so good.

2. We are going to make this our shoe closet. One pet peeve of our old camper was no good place to put hiking boots, running shoes, flip flops etc. If there is extra space we will put a tote in the back with stuff we don't use as often.

3. Ours came with a 80 amp fuse with a Zamp inverter. Not sure who actually makes Zamp inverters.

There is a FB "Host Owners Group" up now that is fairly active if you do FB. Good place to ask questions.

Does yours look like this?

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.