cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater won't stay lit

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
It ignites, but won't stay lit more than a few seconds. And the ignitor keeps clicking after it lights
8 REPLIES 8

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this for my sister, she is telling me that her Suburban heater does not have a thermocouple, could this be true?

bisaacs
Explorer
Explorer
Is the flame yellow? If so, I can almost guarantee there's a spider nest somewhere in the pilot tube--they love propane.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
outdoordb wrote:
The stove and fridge have been working. It starts with a big woosh, no shortage of gas, then keeps clicking, then shuts off

Ah. Mine wouldn't go from pilot to whoosh so my advice is probably not correct for you. Once mine goes to whoosh, it will usually stay lit though the ignitor will continue to click, sometimes the entire time it's heating.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
The stove and fridge have been working. It starts with a big woosh, no shortage of gas, then keeps clicking, then shuts off

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing. I moved the thermocouple a bit closer to the pilot flame and that corrected it.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for bugs or nests in the burner tube. Even a slight obstruction will cause it to shut down.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
light the stove to get air out of the lines,, propane valve on? reg stuck? propane tank full? little things first. if the stove works then you got fuel and the reg is working.could be a bad thermocoupleing.

Advise is right on

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
light the stove to get air out of the lines,, propane valve on? reg stuck? propane tank full? little things first. if the stove works then you got fuel and the reg is working.could be a bad thermocoupleing.