cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do it - is there a way?

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at buying a new-to-me TC from a private party - good deal on an older Lance 910 in solid shape. TC is for sale down by my parents, about 400 miles away from where I live.

One challenge - I have a dually, and it doesn't have swing out jacks.

Is there any way to load this thing so I can get it home without swingouts?
35 REPLIES 35

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this. Go buy or maybe rent a couple of pair of furniture slides, the longer the better. They are the plastic slides with foam glued on top, they will slide on almost anything. Make sure your truck has bed rails on it or you will scratch the top of the bed for sure! Back straight and as far into the camper as you can, you can then re-attach the camper jacks to finish the job when it passes the fenders. Sounds hard but its not.

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
You could put the front of the camper on the bed (remove the jacks) and use some thick dowels between the bed and the camper to allow your truck to "roll" under the camper. Then when it's in far enough you can reattach the front jacks. Of course this isn't easy but it's doable. I've done it. It's obviously far from ideal. Or if you had some furniture dollies those could work too.

When I did it, I had two buddies on the back corners to help stabilize it and aim it as I backed under it. Probably the most nervous I've been since my wedding.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
How long does it take to install the swing out brackets?

I'm going to need the brackets eventually, but I don't know if it's something I can install at the owner's home, what tools I'll need etc. I was hoping to be able to back under as far as I can, remove the front jacks, then jack and slide, etc. Is there anything I could put between the camper and truck to make this feasable, or would it destroy the camper?

Not sure what brand the jacks are - does it matter?

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what egarant said

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
borrow or rent a truck for the ride home ,then figure your loading arangment later. put it on a flat bed trailer,sit down think this thru, so it gets home in one piece.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a crane pick up the camper and drop it into your truck bed.

Other than that, you need to purchase a pair of swing out brackets, after all, you will be using the truck with that camper, you will need them anyway.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue