cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do you get TT cabinets off?

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
We got a 1986 Komfort 23' tt and did our first trip in it this weekend and learned some of the stuff we want/need to change. The roof leaked (that has been fixed) and has damage on the ceiling and wanted to replace that but for the life of me I can't figure out how to take the cabinets off. There was 4 screws going at an angle on the front panel to the sides and removed those and I could still hang on the cabinets if I wanted. they did not move at all. I looked inside to find screws, nails or? and can't find a thing. I would like to reuse the cabinets and put them back up if possible.
So does anyone have any suggestions or tips on this project would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was able to get them loose enough to get a sawsall in there and cut the screws. Certainly no fun.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Trout_Guide
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. You guys are awesome! I was afraid that it was something not simple so now I need to figure how far i really want to take the project. The cabinets are fine and the walls are in pretty good shape. So think I will finish out the season and figure out what I want to do this winter.
So was playing around with ideas with my wife if we do a complete remodel using pine since that is a lite wood for cabinets and go with a rustic look. Sounds like we may have some time to play on this site more and come up with other ideas.
Thanks Again ๐Ÿ™‚

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
This would be a safer tool than a sawzall for cutting the fasteners behind cabinets while minimizing collateral damage: http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html

Get a saw blade made for metal to go with it.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I built Go-Tag-A-Long travel trailers many years ago - That's how we installed cabinets. None of them were fastened from the inside - all through the wall from the outside.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Campers are built from the inside-out. Cabinets are screwed from the outside, so the head of the screw is inside the wall. After everything is installed, then they put the skin on the outside of the camper.

You'll never get them off without destroying them first.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trout Guide wrote:
We got a 1986 Komfort 23' tt and did our first trip in it this weekend and learned some of the stuff we want/need to change. The roof leaked (that has been fixed) and has damage on the ceiling and wanted to replace that but for the life of me I can't figure out how to take the cabinets off. There was 4 screws going at an angle on the front panel to the sides and removed those and I could still hang on the cabinets if I wanted. they did not move at all. I looked inside to find screws, nails or? and can't find a thing. I would like to reuse the cabinets and put them back up if possible.
So does anyone have any suggestions or tips on this project would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Pretty much will end up trashing the cabinets in the process.

That Komfort will be the typical trailer construction where the walls are placed with no siding. The inside cabinets and walls are then set by stapling, screwing and sometimes nailing THROUGH the PANELING INTO the cabinet structure.

The only way to remove without causing collateral damage to the cabinets is to remove the siding.

The only way you might be able to salvage the cabinets would be to either cut the paneling around the cabinets until they are freed or simply cut out the bad paneling as close to the cabinets as possible then place some backing wood behind the cabinets for the new paneling to be nailed to..

Only other suggestion I have would be to use a sawzall and try to get the blade between the cabinet and paneling to cut off all the offending fasteners (this one if you make a mistake can cause severe damage to the cabinets even IF you are careful).

Some folks have some success but I myself after rebuilding two travel trailers found no real easy way to remove and salvage any cabinets.. Pretty much no matter how careful I was they always ended up looking pretty beat up..

I find it is easier to remove and build new ones from scratch...

You can take a look at my Komfort rebuild HERE..

Note, GOOGLE viewer messes with the picture quality, to see the pictures correctly you can save a copy to your PC then open it with Adobe reader (it is a PDF file)..

On edit, looks like Google HAS "fixed" their "viewer" and my pictures now look good!..

2oldgypsies
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you should ask. I just spent hours trying to remove a small cabinet that is attached to the floor in our 2009 Komfort to make room for chairs. Had the same problem, took out every screw I could find and still can not move it. We bought a Komfort because of the way they are built but give me a break. I agree with the post that said that they must be screwed to the wall from the back side before the outer walls are installed. I finally gave up as I don't want to do any damage to the interior walls.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is that they were installed (screwed) from the backside before the outside walls where put on.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro