cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does everyone transport their kayak

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 F-250 crew cab with a 6.5' bed towing a 28' Jayco TT. For those of you that carry kayaks along what methods have you tried and what have you found that works best? I have a hard bed cover on the truck and would rather not loose that because of the secure storage it provides. Ideally I would love to make something that stands them up vertically against the rear of the TT but then I have to worry about overhead clearance so I'm not set on that idea.
18 REPLIES 18

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
gpeade wrote:
...For those of you that carry kayaks along what methods have you tried and what have you found that works best?

Thule Hullavators
There is something special about camping in an RV.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We put our 2 feelfree Mokens + our 2 bicycles inside the trailer when underway. On arrival, we chain the kayaks up under the trailer.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
A good and very solid, secure option is made by DiamondBack Covers. I actually bought one to load my ATV on and tow my TT. The DiamondBack ATV cover I have can support 1600 lbs of weight on the cover and it is locking. DiamondBack also makes HD covers if you don't want to load ATVs on them. But importantly, the have risers that can attach for cross members which would be perfect for long kayaks, canoe or anything else. Downside is they are not the cheapest thing out there but for me it was worth the money.

DiamondBack Covers
I love me some land yachting

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standing on back bumper will work for 10 foot yaks , we did that on several of our trailers , now we haul from top of truck cab , forward on a rack that fastens on front of truck trailer hitch . The yaks make the cab cooler as they shade the front . We call it a rocket launcher .