cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How level do i need to be?

magila
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a KingSport 265BHS with a 2011 F150 eco and an equal-i-zer hitch. Tows fairly well, but I am wanting to try and "tweak" it a bit. I could use a little advice:

1. Do I want the trailer as level as possible? I measured the frame and it is 3 1/2 inches lower in the front.

2. The friction bars seem to be aiming up a bit. What is the best way to adjust for this?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

magila
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I raised the hitch head up one slot. I'll hook her up tomorrow and see how it looks.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
magila wrote:
1. Do I want the trailer as level as possible? I measured the frame and it is 3 1/2 inches lower in the front.
Is the front 3.5" lower than the rear"? If so, you need to move the ball mount up one hole and measure again.

2. The friction bars seem to be aiming up a bit. What is the best way to adjust for this?
The main requirement is for the WD bars to be perpendicular to the L-brackets. A small adjustment can be made by loosening the L-brackets and making them perpendicular to the bars.

If a larger adjustment is required, you can move the L-bracket up or down and then adjust the ball mount tilt for proper load distribution,

Ron

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I tow all 3 of my rigs with a 1/4 down bubble (Tongue low)

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
The spring bars should be nominally level with the ground when hitched. I believe the recommendation on the trailer is within 1" of level, with nose down if it isn't perfect- never nose up. I think most WD hitches can be adjusted in 1" height increments. Once you adjust the level of the hitch head, check the bars again once you get the front suspension height adjusted, then if the bars are still pointing up, tilt the head more to the rear by adding a washer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would raise the bracket that the ball is attached to at least one hole and maybe two. You should be able to measure between holes to figure out what you need.
3.5" is a bit much.

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
as long as you have the spring tension adjusted correctly, it should just be a matter of raising the receiver ball/head assembly up. Then you will likely have to reset the tension on the spring bars again.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS