cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people put power awning in every night?

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
With my old manual awning, I used to put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to tie it down. Never had an issue or thought about bringing it in in high winds. Now with the power awning I'm afraid of every little gust of wind and I've been bringing it in every night. DW thinks I'm being paranoid. I'm wondering how many others bring it in every night? Or do you leave it out if the weather forecast is decent?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
70 REPLIES 70

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Why gamble that no strong gust will ever come along and wreck it, when a push of the button insures a safe awning? That is how I think of it. Not paranoia, just common sense. One does not need the awning out all night, so putting it away seems natural.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
We have a power awning and still have it strapped down when needed. No reason to bring it in every night.

Me too. Almost never bring it in. But. I do also have the maual sensor mentioned elsewhere...
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I always bring the awning in at night. There is no need to leave if out and unexpected storms pop up during the Summer so I feel better bringing it in at night.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
We have a power awning and still have it strapped down when needed. No reason to bring it in every night.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, in every night...and every time I leave the CS.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Our power awning has the manual sensor. I leave it out and if it starts to flutter and bang my wife slaps my head and says bring in the awning. Works for us. Dave

Oh! Manual sensor! I get it!

That's what ours does, flutters and bangs and we jump up to put it in.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Our power awning has the manual sensor. I leave it out and if it starts to flutter and bang my wife slaps my head and says bring in the awning. Works for us. Dave

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We bring it in every night. We don't have a wind sensor and it's super easy to bring it in. Great peace of mind and good night's sleep.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Does it have a wind sensor? Some have a sensor that when shaken enough will retract the awning.

I've never heard of such a thing. That sounds kind of awesome, but then of course I'd wworty about the system failing and wouldn't want to rely on it.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a manual awning, but I never leave it out when I am not around and awake to take care of it. It comes in when asleep or away from the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it have a wind sensor? Some have a sensor that when shaken enough will retract the awning.