cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much do you really need?

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
We are camper shopping. Have seen a few that have a GVWR of over 9000 lbs. That is too much for our tow vehicle. But then I see the dry weight is around 6500. The cargo capacity is around 3,000 lbs. We would never carry anywhere near that since we camp at full service campgrounds and don't need to haul around a lot of liquid, and we pack light anyway.

Should the GVWR be the deciding factor here? Or should some reasonable estimate on possible towing weight be more appropriate?
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali
19 REPLIES 19

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have said this all along. I always recommend to add 1200-1500lbs to the dry weight.

Our old TT had a 4100lb CCC! It wasnโ€™t a Toy Hauler. Just an overly built TT. It scaled at 9300lbs loaded for a trip. Itโ€™s dry weight was 7100lbs. Yes I pack heavy. 2 adults and 2 kids. and a 100lb German Shepard at the time. I also packed heavy knowing I had more than enough CCC in the TT and my Excursion was more than capable.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you already have a camper take it to a CAT scale and see what it weighs compared to the empty weight...that will give you your current cargo weight.

UVW of the new trailer + current cargo weight should be a decent estimate for the new rig. I would probably bump that up a bit (maybe 500lb) as nature abhors a vacuum and big rigs with lots of storage (ie: vacuum) tend to get filled.

If this comes in below the GVWR, you have a reasonable basis for using your calculation over GVWR.

Keep in mind 3000lb CCC is more than most RVs have, particularly smaller non-toy haulers. 1000-2000 CCC is more common and it's very easy to max that out, so lacking better information, is where the recommendation to use GVWR comes from as most people have no clue what their actual cargo weight is.

yep, and 1500 lbs. would be a "normal" cargo weight.
bumpy

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tow anything that i can overload. Ots easy to say i will not tow with full tanks etc. But it does come up, so i would definitely add the weight for full tanks, so waste water, reguler water , propane etc. After adding rhat it add you stuff. Then see how close your are. You will be surprised how much stuff you buy and it all adds weight. I seem to get a new something or other each year, and never get rid of anything. I rather tow a lighter camper then suck wind up a hill. Not saying it cant be done, just not worth it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you already have a camper take it to a CAT scale and see what it weighs compared to the empty weight...that will give you your current cargo weight.

UVW of the new trailer + current cargo weight should be a decent estimate for the new rig. I would probably bump that up a bit (maybe 500lb) as nature abhors a vacuum and big rigs with lots of storage (ie: vacuum) tend to get filled.

If this comes in below the GVWR, you have a reasonable basis for using your calculation over GVWR.

Keep in mind 3000lb CCC is more than most RVs have, particularly smaller non-toy haulers. 1000-2000 CCC is more common and it's very easy to max that out, so lacking better information, is where the recommendation to use GVWR comes from as most people have no clue what their actual cargo weight is.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You're right to think along those lines. GVWR is semi worthless but it is relative to how the trailer is built IMO.
I had a smaller 5th wheel prior to our current TT that had over 4,000 lbs for CCC. UVW was around 7300 lbs. No way could I ever load 4,000 lbs in it.
Under normal loading expect to add around 1,000 lbs. I know from my own experience that I carry about 1500+/- lbs of stuff, but some is add ons like extra batteries, bike rack, solar panels, etc.
When shopping or browsing for fun I always look at the CCC to see how my 1500 lbs would work. GVWR never factors in. CCC is the most important number for me.
Add your 1,000 lbs to the trailers stickered UVW and that's close to what you'll actually be towing.