cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much does your WDH and sway deterrent weigh?

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing the imaginary math for an E350 van. GVWR says 9100#. And, I'm leaning toward Blue Ox Pro? If the math puts me in a pop-up tent, I guess I should sell the TV. Thanks, /CC
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.
26 REPLIES 26

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do like I did and get a Hensley hitch.. The only thing you need to handle is the stinger which weighs in the neighborhood of 20lbs. The rest of the heavy hitch stays on the tongue of the trailer including the WD bars.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
The total weight of my 1000/10000 pound Equal-i-zer hitch as delivered according to UPS was 72 pounds. But the older I get, the more it weighs.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Blue Ox I use with my 25 foot Dutchmen. The ball and mount weigh about 50 lbs, the bars another 25 lbs. I love it because the anti-sway is built in.

It is not how much you can pull, it is how much your tow vehicle can carry that is important. My 25 ft TT crosses the scales at 6200 lbs and 750 lbs on the tongue. That puts my F-150 4x4 at the max cargo limit with two adults, a truck cap, camp gear and a 60 lbs dog.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
My work van is an E 350 extended . I pull a 10K equip trailer with 8K on it. I did but an equalizer hitch on it because sometimes I have to load it heavy on the tongue

Good to know! Mine is a Super-Duty. I'm not sure exactly what that implies. I hope it means it has a transmission cooler? Mine is extended also.

So, you're happy with your setup?
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The total weight of my Blue Ox with the 1,500 lbs bars as it sat in the box was 92 lbs. The hitch head by itself weighed 56 lbs.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
My work van is an E 350 extended . I pull a 10K equip trailer with 8K on it. I did but an equalizer hitch on it because sometimes I have to load it heavy on the tongue

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
I have the old generation Blue Ox. I weighed it a couple years ago, as I recall the head was about 68 pounds, and the pair of spring bars with chains were about 14 pounds.

Plus the weight of the two frame brackets, which for a Sway Pro isn't insignificant.

True. I'd forgot those. They are probably a good four or five pounds each. They are beefy.

EDIT: I think the new version being sold now may be a little lighter ( the head part ) than my old version. New version is a little simpler.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I have the old generation Blue Ox. I weighed it a couple years ago, as I recall the head was about 68 pounds, and the pair of spring bars with chains were about 14 pounds.

Plus the weight of the two frame brackets, which for a Sway Pro isn't insignificant.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

EDIT: etrailer shows a shipping weight of 96 pounds.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Allow ~ 100 lbs for a weight distribution system like the Blue Ox Sway Pro, Equal-i-zer, etc ... as they say, close enough for govt work. :W About the only system significantly lighter is the Andersen No Sway WD System as it doesn't have a conventional head nor spring bars.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Blue Ox Sway Pro...The hitch head is really heavy...much heavier than our previous Equal-i-zer and our Reece Dual Cam. It's really beefy. I'm guessing around 60+ lbs.

It's also a great hitch.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the type of weight distribution hitch you want. The PullRite weighs about 400 pounds, many are under or near 100 pounds. Why not ask Blue Ox what the weight is? Trailer tongue weight should be around 13 percent of the total trailer's weight. Then add the hitch weight. And if you want to sharpen your imaginary pencil the correctly adjusted weight distribution hitch distributes about 20-25 percent of the distributed weight back to the trailer axles. Not all goes to the front of the van's axle or remains on the van's rear axle.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.