cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How primitive of terrain are you comfortable traversing?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

What level of terrain are you comfortable taking your full-size truck campers on?
My previous camper setup was moderately aggressive-terrain friendly it was a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a Northstar 650 pop up cabover truck camper. It weighed 1,250 approx. I recall traversing some narrow canyon roads in Eastern WA and when any tires would enter a huge dirt hole It would feel like the camper was shaking back and forth. A few times over a steep embankment, I would experience the biggest adrenaline rushes because I thought “it was it” like I was going to take the tumble. Camper was secure and didn’t seem to move in the bed, just the rocking was scary. It would take me approx 45 mins to reach where I made camp because I was driving 2-3 mph average. In a vacant truck, it would take 5 mins.

New to me setup:
2013 Ford F350 Diesel
2002 Arctic Fox 990

So based on my previous setup and it’s low center of gravity due to it being a pop-up, I wonder if it is even a viable idea to reach this same place (or places similar). As many of you know, this camper is almost comically large when mounted on a truck, and weighs 3x’s my previous.

So what am I actually asking? How primitive of roads have you guys taken your campers on? Things to look out for, warning signs, things you absolutely wouldn't do, Pitches, banks, etc. I almost didn’t buy this camper because I didn’t think it would be suitable for deep woods, but I will be using it as an off-grid home for at least one year, so the slide appeal and features really attracted me.
In the canyon I like the most in Eastern WA, there are 2 “steeper” areas, and I don’t know how comfortable I would be with that camper.

I like to reach desolate areas of Eastern WA where the Subarus can’t go. They all get stuck within .25 miles and like to go deep to set up camp and do minimalist survival stuff and use the camper as a “base”. Also, love to bring my dirtbike out there. It’s the epitome of a perfect weekend.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

15 REPLIES 15

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in my TC days with my ‘78 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton, I’d go anywhere I had clearance...as in tree limbs. Preformed better with the 2800 pounds of camper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad