cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How To Set Up An F-250 For Towing?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I've bought a 2022 F-250 for towing a Jayco bumper pull travel trailer. Can somebody guide me on what I need to do now so that when I get to the trailer I'll be ready to hitch up and tow? Edit: I see now that it has 3 factory installed hitch connection plugs on the tow bumper. It doesn't have a towing ball on the hitch so I will need to get that.

How do brakes work on a trailer? Is that one of the plugs on my bumper Should I pay for a backup camera on the trailer? At first I will be traveling alone and so backing into a space will be an extra challenge.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
43 REPLIES 43

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Jayco customer service sent me information about installing a backup camera in my trailer. Here is the dealer's photo of that area. I can't tell if they installed a camera or it's just the mounting bracket. I've sent a message to my salesman to ask about it. The current version of the Furrion backup camera is about $500 with the video monitor for the truck. Is there a more affordable solution I should consider? I've read that some can work with a cell phone.

That is the standard rear camera PREP. No camera, just a bracket and wires.
There are much better and cheaper choices, than Furrion.
There are literally thousands of threads/posts here on rear observation cameras.
Haloview is probably the most recommended brand. Furrion is low on the list.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PS, what Iโ€™d do is first call the dealer you bought it from and beg (appeal to their giving side) to sell you an IBC module at the same price you could buy one online and install/program the truck for free.
Since they just sold you an expensive truck, made a bunch of money and in the end schlepped off a truck on you with no brake controller (assuming you at least mentioned you were buying it to tow a trailer). And whatโ€™s more, didnโ€™t tell you you were getting an oddball truck without an IBC.

Idk what engine you selected but hopefully you at least got 3.73s or preferably 4.30s and the 48 gal fuel tank. And didnโ€™t get stuck with 3.55s and a 34gal tank in that cowboy Cadillac!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
^^^ NO splicing of wires ( that I know of ) . everything should be plug and play with the aftermarket controllers... There are folks on here that say the aftermarket ( Prodigy ) controllers are better than the IBC......

Hey Joe...this is a pic of the Ford controller harness, that came in the glove box. One end plugs into dash wiring, the other needs spliced to controller wires.

I helped a friend, just 2 years ago, that had ordered a Tekonsha Voyager, and a plug/play harness he ordered from e-trailer, that he tried to install in his F150. It fit, but did not work. I asked if he had the Ford one, pictured, and he did. I connected the marked wiring to the Voyager, worked just fine.

Anyway, if the OP can get the Ford IBC installed easily, that is what I'd do. If he chooses to use the P3, can't go wrong there either, should work great.

Jerry

Thanks for the pic Jerry, It's been a long time since I added an aftermarketcontroller, and NEVER installed a Ford IBC....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trailer hitch
Ball mount that makes your trailer level.
Weight distribution hitch with sway control.
Brake controller in the cab under the dash.
Adjust the WDH.

You are going to need all of these in order to tow safely.
Figure out which ones you have.
Show our truck to a person that installs trailer hitches to be sure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh boy, lol, you found a new F250 without an IBCโ€ฆ.thatโ€™s like a needle in a haystackโ€ฆlol.

Yes buy the Ford one and hope the stealer will install and activate it for you for cheap.
Or just install an aftermarket controller.
Splice the controller to the plug / harness that came with the truck in a plastic bag in the glove box , plug it in under the dash, mount the controller. Itโ€™s that easy. 2 beer job, tops.

Warning, youโ€™re likely about to spend more money than you planned regardless of which option you choose unless youโ€™re able to diy it.
Dealers and rv shops will try to charge you a bunch of money for something that should have been included equipment.
Sorry to hear you got a new truck that is missing one of the most important, almost standard, features.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
^^^ NO splicing of wires ( that I know of ) . everything should be plug and play with the aftermarket controllers... There are folks on here that say the aftermarket ( Prodigy ) controllers are better than the IBC......

Hey Joe...this is a pic of the Ford controller harness, that came in the glove box. One end plugs into dash wiring, the other needs spliced to controller wires.

I helped a friend, just 2 years ago, that had ordered a Tekonsha Voyager, and a plug/play harness he ordered from e-trailer, that he tried to install in his F150. It fit, but did not work. I asked if he had the Ford one, pictured, and he did. I connected the marked wiring to the Voyager, worked just fine.

Anyway, if the OP can get the Ford IBC installed easily, that is what I'd do. If he chooses to use the P3, can't go wrong there either, should work great.

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
DallasSteve wrote:
Thanks for that tip. I haven't seen that key. I'm going to search for it and if I don't find it I will call my salesman to see if he knows where it is. I don't need it yet, but you never know when it might happen. In your situation wasn't calling a locksmith an option?

Of course, it's not an issue...until it is. Luckily I when I found out, there was a tire shop across the road from the parking lot I was in, so I rolled the bad tire over and got it repaired...never using the spare. If I had been in the back woods, it would have been a much bigger deal.

No it's a special Ford adapter that goes onto the end of the crank arm that lowers the tire. A lock smith wouldn't have one. One Ford dealer was going to charge $500 since they would have to disassemble a bunch of stuff to get at the winch, which is hidden under the spare tire.

Finally used a youtube trick of banging a socket over the end of the key till it stuck and I was able to get it to turn but it wasn't nearly as simple as the youtube showed.

Hopefully, they gave up on the silly idea but if it's a new truck, you should be able to hold the dealer's feet to the fire if it needs one and is missing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

You might be surprised to find the 3rd connector is for plugging in the tool to lower the spare tireโ€ฆ.

Not sure if Ford came to their senses but practice lowering the spare tire to make sure you have everything.

Ours had a special key...which was missing. This makes it impossible to get the spare out with the flat kit. Ford dealers couldn't get me a new key. Took 2hr to cut it free and then repair the cable.

Thanks for that tip. I haven't seen that key. I'm going to search for it and if I don't find it I will call my salesman to see if he knows where it is. I don't need it yet, but you never know when it might happen. In your situation wasn't calling a locksmith an option?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

You might be surprised to find the 3rd connector is for plugging in the tool to lower the spare tireโ€ฆ.

Not sure if Ford came to their senses but practice lowering the spare tire to make sure you have everything.

Ours had a special key...which was missing. This makes it impossible to get the spare out with the flat kit. Ford dealers couldn't get me a new key. Took 2hr to cut it free and then repair the cable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I hope I can get some helpful tips on the trailer brakes.

The Jayco information says the trailer has "electric, self-adjusting brakes". I just confirmed that my F-250 does not have the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. I bought a more basic F-250 XL. I'm happy that it has power windows and cruise control. Can someone explain how the trailer brakes work and what I should do if I don't have the ITBC? I'm reading some places say they won't work at all without the controller. One website says "the 7-pin trailer plugin controls the brake lights, it doesn't engage the trailer's brakes". So it sounds like I need to add a brake controller. Should I take it to Ford and pay extra to add that or just buy something off Amazon and add it myself? Does it require another wire back to the trailer or does it work off bluetooth? Help!

Not sure if a dealer can add the IBC after the fact, but that's Okay.... go get yourself a Prodigy P3 or similar .... That controller can be added by anyone who is the least bit handy..

The 7 pin does control the trailer brakes, once a brake controller is installed.... There is a BLUE wire that will run to the controller, when you step on the brakes, that wire will energize the trailer brake system.

here - click

In many cases an oem Ford IBC can be added, but requires a dealer flash to truck computer to activate. Ford's IBC is top of the heap IMHO. The Prod P3 is also a good choice. Been a while, since having to install an aftermarket, but Fords normally had a factory plug-in under/behind the dash. They supplied a factory harness, located in glove box in new trucks, that you wired to aftermarket brake controller, and then simply plugged into under dash plug...done. Still need to adjust gain etc.

Steve, take a look in glove box for a harness, could be there.

Jerry

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:

The Jayco information says the trailer has "electric, self-adjusting brakes". I just confirmed that my F-250 does not have the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. I bought a more basic F-250 XL. I'm happy that it has power windows and cruise control. Can someone explain how the trailer brakes work and what I should do if I don't have the ITBC? I'm reading some places say they won't work at all without the controller. One website says "the 7-pin trailer plugin controls the brake lights, it doesn't engage the trailer's brakes". So it sounds like I need to add a brake controller. Should I take it to Ford and pay extra to add that or just buy something off Amazon and add it myself? Does it require another wire back to the trailer or does it work off bluetooth? Help!

Not sure if a dealer can add the IBC after the fact, but that's Okay.... go get yourself a Prodigy P3 or similar .... That controller can be added by anyone who is the least bit handy..

The 7 pin does control the trailer brakes, once a brake controller is installed.... There is a BLUE wire that will run to the controller, when you step on the brakes, that wire will energize the trailer brake system.

here - click

I see one advertised by a Ford dealer on eBay. It looks like they can be added after purchase because they say that it will need to be activated at a Ford dealer. They charge $50 for activation. I also see some other eBay offers for less than $4100 but delivery takes too long. If I go that route does that mean I don't need to splice any wires? I know how to splice wires, but getting to them and doing it right is where it may become a problem for me. (this link looks ugly, but it seems to work)

eBay: Ford ITBC Module

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
op, I have two Prodigy P3's for sale. PM if interested. one has literally 8 trips on it. Brackets, instructions, wiring pigtail, all of it.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

DallasSteve wrote:

here - click
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7