cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to store folding camping chairs?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a trick for storing these things? The first thing we always lose is the bag, plus they rarely ever make it back into them anyways. My front storage has like 8 of these chairs and it's very annoying because they all get hooked onto each other and take up more space than they should. I've been thinking about making horizontal storage with multiple PVC pipes and sliding the chairs into them. Maybe 5".

Anyone have any good ideas?

EDIT:
My solution on page 3: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28904040/gotomsg/28908928.cfm#28908928

20160607_203342 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr
43 REPLIES 43

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I bought several yards of "fake" leather-like stuff at the fabric store. Watch their sales, usually before all Holidays. I will be making one big pillowcase to slip over our 2 folding (not bag) chairs. Chairs can lean against the trailer, won't scratch and stay dry.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
eDUBz wrote:
Dang puts my storage orginization to shame. Now i want tk go clean it out and orginze a bit. Very nice.

ditto!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Dang puts my storage orginization to shame. Now i want tk go clean it out and orginze a bit. Very nice.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Gentleman, I present to you my solution. One sheet of MDF, some time and screws. There are SIX chairs, without the bags, stored no problem. One of them is my leg rest chair even. Totes fit on top no problem. Once I get my led tape light I will be able to slide them a little closer to the door. But, for <$25 in materials, I now have a usable front storage bunk

20160607_201434 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

20160607_202524 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

20160607_203342 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

And what the other side looks like 6 totes used for setup and some other junk

20160607_203406 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

hondaCT90
Explorer
Explorer
bag chairs were never a problem..then I stopped in at the local Camping world and they had those nice extra wide soft rocking chairs...for an old guy with a bad back...they are way better than a canvas bag chair...so anyway..2 of em left with me..but I don't like to keep them in the truck bed with dirty stuff and the chance of rain in route..so unfornately they are the last thing into the camper..slide along the side of my bed....only in a 25ft so our underbed is a water tank with a smaller bit of storage..and that's a lift up the bed access...our future TT is a lot larger and will solve many storage problems.

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer

[img][/img]

ROYBELL: Fairly simple but here is the pix you requested. (figuring out how to get the pix in here was much more complicated than the original idea).

We have a small folding table that goes between the chairs that I also cover with a tee shirt. The chair shirts are 4XL, not the 3XL I previously indicated
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I took the outside fridge out and used the strap, that was used to hold fridge in place while travelling ,to hold 4 chairs in the horizontal position.
We usually have sites with no services so the fridge was a waste.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my first go-round. I had a couple scrap pieces so I built it on the pieces I had. 26" wide, 38" long. Holds 4 chairs easily and I can stuff a 5th one in. BAG OR NO BAG! Best part, I have usable space above the chairs now. It fits in the front storage compartment. I mocked it up in the compartment and I think I may put 2 smaller ones side by side in leaving the whole top open then. This side I have a 36" tote for my camp fire stuff and a couple small ones for lighters, paper, locks, etc. The other side has 10 gallon totes that stack perfectly for chocks, water, grey, wood, etc.

1 sheet of 1/2" MDF= $16.99.
1 Box of screws= $5.99
Playing in the garage and building something useful= priceless.

2016-06-06_10-52-57 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

TundraTower wrote:
We only carry 2 chairs for 2 people, and we carry them in the back of the truck.

To simplify protecting the chairs, I went to Wal Mart and bought two XXXL heavy tee shirts. They slide over the folded chairs with no effort and the shoulder of the shirt will hold it on the chair at one end. I used to use clothes pins to close up the opposite end but have now decided there just isn't any point in doing that.

Interesting idea. Have any pictures of the setup? I'll bet the cotton slides over it easier than the bag.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyBell wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
Does anyone have a trick for storing these things? The first thing we always lose is the bag, plus they rarely ever make it back into them anyways. My front storage has like 8 of these chairs and it's very annoying because they all get hooked onto each other and take up more space than they should. I've been thinking about making horizontal storage with multiple PVC pipes and sliding the chairs into them. Maybe 5".

You DO realize that IF you KEEP AND USE THE BAGS THERE WILL NOT BE "HOOKED" or SNAGGED chairs?

I have never "lost" a chair bag, at the campsite we remove the bag and setup the chair. The empty bags are put back into the same storage area that the chairs go into.

At tear down we simple get the bags out of the storage area and put the chairs back into the bags.

Using the bags tames the snagged legs, keeps the chairs from expanding when putting them in or taking them out AND has a side benefit of containing any dirt or sand that may be on the chair legs.. Makes for a neat and clean storage area!

You obviously do not camp with kids or my gf who can lose her head if it's not attached. Generally we have 5 people camping. Sometimes 6. I havent counted the chairs, maybe it's only 6. I just feel like I am pulling them out for days. One of them is one with a leg rest which takes up the space of 2 of them.

Getting the nicer ones are great if you have $50 x 6 to blow on them. Plus they are a pain to carry. We do go to concerts and events where we carry them. As for where the bags go, who knows. Some events we camp at for several days and leave the cheap chairs out by the concert/lawn so we have a spot when we return later in the evening. Then we have chairs at the camp site AND chairs at the venue.

I may start only keeping 4 in the front and storing the rest somewhere inside. I tried to stuff one into a 6" PVC today and no go. I like the tote idea if they fit. I have one under my bed I may try and see how they fit. If they don't fit, I picked up some MDF yesterday. I am going to experience with making a couple 6" cubbies for the front bunk and see how that goes.

Acutally I DO have kids..

TWO TEENAGERS.

we are talking major "attitudes" and lots of "blonde moments"..

So I DEAL WITH FOUR CHAIRS AND A "EZE UP" canopy which I store under my queen bed..

My choice is to either lift a heavy bed or pull things through a small access door inside the trailer.

There is no way I would wish to deal with chairs or the canopy structure without storing them in their bags.

To me it is no excuse to not use the bags, it only takes a whopping ten seconds to pull them out of a bag.

Maybe a whole 30 seconds to put them into the bag..

So in the whole realm of the world you are "inconvenienced" a whopping FOUR MINUTES for SIX chairs and that is setting up and packing up..

That is most likely much less time wasted than your current system of no bags and having to deal with intertwined chair legs..

Do it your way if you like but perhaps you should consider those worthless bags the next time you are fighting with tangles..

:R

I am going to assume reading comprehension isn't your strong suite. Where did I ever say "throwing the chairs without bags is the best solution"? Uhhh, I posted this looking for solutions.

Even IN the bags, they are a waste of space and clumsy to store, but I am sure you already know that. Some of us like to find solutions to problems, not just "put it in the bag and throw it in xxx".

It isn't worth wasting any more electrons over you since you have declared war on the very device that fixes the problem (the bags that come with the chairs)..

Go ahead and continue on wasting your time, money and effort on other "solutions".

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
We only carry 2 chairs for 2 people, and we carry them in the back of the truck.

To simplify protecting the chairs, I went to Wal Mart and bought two XXXL heavy tee shirts. They slide over the folded chairs with no effort and the shoulder of the shirt will hold it on the chair at one end. I used to use clothes pins to close up the opposite end but have now decided there just isn't any point in doing that.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
RoyBell wrote:

You DO realize that IF you KEEP AND USE THE BAGS THERE WILL NOT BE "HOOKED" or SNAGGED chairs?

I have never "lost" a chair bag, at the campsite we remove the bag and setup the chair. The empty bags are put back into the same storage area that the chairs go into.

At tear down we simple get the bags out of the storage area and put the chairs back into the bags.

Using the bags tames the snagged legs, keeps the chairs from expanding when putting them in or taking them out AND has a side benefit of containing any dirt or sand that may be on the chair legs.. Makes for a neat and clean storage area!

You obviously do not camp with kids or my gf who can lose her head if it's not attached. Generally we have 5 people camping. Sometimes 6. I havent counted the chairs, maybe it's only 6. I just feel like I am pulling them out for days. One of them is one with a leg rest which takes up the space of 2 of them.

Getting the nicer ones are great if you have $50 x 6 to blow on them. Plus they are a pain to carry. We do go to concerts and events where we carry them. As for where the bags go, who knows. Some events we camp at for several days and leave the cheap chairs out by the concert/lawn so we have a spot when we return later in the evening. Then we have chairs at the camp site AND chairs at the venue.

I may start only keeping 4 in the front and storing the rest somewhere inside. I tried to stuff one into a 6" PVC today and no go. I like the tote idea if they fit. I have one under my bed I may try and see how they fit. If they don't fit, I picked up some MDF yesterday. I am going to experience with making a couple 6" cubbies for the front bunk and see how that goes.

TWO TEENAGERS.

So I DEAL WITH FOUR CHAIRS AND A "EZE UP" canopy which I store under my queen bed..

My choice is to either lift a heavy bed or pull things through a small access door inside the trailer.

There is no way I would wish to deal with chairs or the canopy structure without storing them in their bags.

To me it is no excuse to not use the bags, it only takes a whopping ten seconds to pull them out of a bag.

So in the whole realm of the world you are "inconvenienced" a whopping FOUR MINUTES for SIX chairs and that is setting up and packing up..

That is most likely much less time wasted than your current system of no bags and having to deal with intertwined chair legs..

Do it your way if you like but perhaps you should consider those worthless bags the next time you are fighting with tangles..

:R

I am going to assume reading comprehension isn't your strong suite. Where did I ever say "throwing the chairs without bags is the best solution"? Uhhh, I posted this looking for solutions.

Even IN the bags, they are a waste of space and clumsy to store, but I am sure you already know that. Some of us like to find solutions to problems, not just "put it in the bag and throw it in xxx".

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyBell wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
RoyBell wrote:

TWO TEENAGERS.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Menards has the Zero Gravity chairs go on sale a couple times a year. I picked mine up for $29. I noticed the new ones have a side table so maybe next year I will need to upgrade 🙂

Supereri73
Explorer
Explorer
We have a couple of the zero gravity recliners with built in tables for the adults

http://costcocouple.com/timber-ridge-zero-gravity-lounge-chair/

And a couple of the fold flat captains chairs with tables for everyone else.

http://www.costco.com/Timber-Ridge%C2%AE-Director's-Chair-2-pack.product.100234010.html

The recliners are the best thing since sliced bread, imho.

They are bulky, but so comfortable I'll find a way to fit them.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab, Dually, Long bed, 4x4, Cummins 6.7 370hp/800 lbs.-ft, 4.10
B&W RVK3600 fifth wheel hitch
2016 Genesis Supreme 36-CK toyhauler