cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid travel trailer hard side slide out or canvas

karateman43
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at getting a new trailer in the next year or so. Right now we've got a 16' funfinder that we've had for almost 6 years and with the 8yo getting bigger we're looking at upgrading to a larger camper. I've been looking at both standard campers with slide outs and some hybrids. But after reading a few forums I'm beginning to think that a canvas sided hybrid might not be for us.

While we are out camping we always wander and check out other campers in the grounds and have seen hybrids with one end as a hard sided slide out with the bed instead of a canvas tent. Yet when looking around online I'm striking out in finding any.

Any help to point me towards a company that makes a hard sided bunk hybrid would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most hybrids that I have seen have fold down beds with soft side walls. Before you get your heart set on a traditional TT with slide out, nake sure your tow vehicle can handle it.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You might like a Trailmanor.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

karateman43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Yeah I misspoke about the canvas sided hybrid. No way we're looking to go to a pop up. I should have said canvas bunk ends. lol.

bunks falling out doesn't sound to appealing. Maybe I'll stick to eyeballing a standard hardside camper with some slideouts for some more room. We've seen a few that we like.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
karateman43 wrote:
We're looking at getting a new trailer in the next year or so. Right now we've got a 16' funfinder that we've had for almost 6 years and with the 8yo getting bigger we're looking at upgrading to a larger camper. I've been looking at both standard campers with slide outs and some hybrids. But after reading a few forums I'm beginning to think that a canvas sided hybrid might not be for us.

While we are out camping we always wander and check out other campers in the grounds and have seen hybrids with one end as a hard sided slide out with the bed instead of a canvas tent. Yet when looking around online I'm striking out in finding any.

Any help to point me towards a company that makes a hard sided bunk hybrid would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're looking for a rear bed slide TT, not a hybrid.
A hybrid has to have canvas bed ends, to qualify as a hybrid (a blend of Popup and travel trailer).

By the way, Hybrids have regular hard sides, popups have canvas sides.
Hybrids have all hard sides. It just has bunk doors that drop down like a tailgate, so a tent end can be deployed.

Outback is the brand best known for the kind of TT you're looking for.

Yes....the Outback line from Keystone and I believe Jayco still makes 1, the Jayfeather line X213.

A lot used to be out there from other manufacturers, but most seem to have dropped them. Probably due to problems with the slide eventually sagging structurally over time. It extends a good 4' or better. In the past someone made a model that had support poles that needed to be placed after the slide was extended. If you search around you'll find instances where that slide failed as in the owner waking up when it hit the ground lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
karateman43 wrote:

Sounds like you're looking for a rear bed slide TT, not a hybrid.
A hybrid has to have canvas bed ends, to qualify as a hybrid (a blend of Popup and travel trailer).

By the way, Hybrids have regular hard sides, popups have canvas sides.
Hybrids have all hard sides. It just has bunk doors that drop down like a tailgate, so a tent end can be deployed.

Outback is the brand best known for the kind of TT you're looking for.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes