cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a new Generator

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, it is not red or blue. It is a Champion 75531i, 3100 max watts, 2800 rated watts. Weighs about 85 pounds and is rated at 58db. I can pick it up and set it in the pickup by myself, it started the first pull, and it runs my AC unit.

In addition to a pair of 2000W Hondas or Yamahas, I considered the Yamaha 2400, but its ability to start the AC seems to be a gamble. $826 is more to my liking than $2200.

Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
72 REPLIES 72

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
OhhWell wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, If you want complete silence, plug your ears. I don't care for the knocking, banging Diesel tow vehicles either, but they can camp too. This world is a noisy place; Have you ever spent the night in a hospital? Tell them you want complete silence. Make sure no airplanes fly over your Blue paradise. (you might hear them) I love my Yamaha 2400 generator and I want to camp right next to you. :C

Never been on the Blue Ridge have you. It is really quiet up there. Fire flies lay on the bushes like a blanket of Christmas lights. You can hear Owls screech a mile away. Except of course when some one is running a generator.

This blue ridge place seems like a great location to find out how long my open frame Champion 3500 can run on a single tank of gas just powering a loud stereo system.

Obviously I am just kidding but do you guys walk around in slippers so as not to disturb the other side of the lake? It does sound beautiful and a good candidate for a no-generator policy.

I'd love to be able to dry camp without a generator. Unfortunately, living deep in Florida with kids in the school system, I need to stick with electricity. In our TT days, we could fit in one of my favorite state parks ever but there were no hookups. a full family,2 dogs and heat index above 110 every humid day and I was running the Genny. I felt awful and did everything I could to mitigate the annoyance to others except spending the $3000 on an inverter that I did not have to spend.

I've been in a tent next to the people that fire up the black and decker screamer the first minute it is allowed at 6am and it sucks. On the other hand, the people who wait till it gets hot don't bug me much. The inverters don't bug me at all since they don't usually get loud until they start running the ACs around here.

. We talk in hushed voices at night, because the sound carries a long way in the quiet. If some one drops a tent pole any where in the CG. It is a major event so to speak.
Yes, One of the GREAT things about camping on the BRP. It is ALWAYS cool up there. In 30 years of camping, We have never needed AC. We do however use blankets every time we go. It is the main reason we go up. To escape the heat at the bottom of the mountain.
Generators have pretty much chased us out of the primitive Campgrounds. But there are many private CGs with full hookups, and we have never needed the AC there either. Nice to sit by the fire on a cool summer night, and listen to the sounds of the mountains, with no motor running anywhere.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI.
I built and insulated an generator box for my inverter....
I have a fan intake and exhaust that is powered by the actual inverter. You can stand beside it and have a conversation.
I took like using the inverter sporadically, but I also felt really bad about disturbing people around me. So I built it.
I also visit the sites around me and ask if there are any issues with me running it during the day to charge the battery for 1/2 hour or maybe something else.
We limit it's use to about an hour, maybe two, during the day...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
mm49 wrote:
I really don't see how anybody could complain about a quite inverter generator! Mine is so quite, I've forgot to shut it off and gone fishing for 6 hours. These people would ***** about any thing.
MM49

You went fishing for 6 hours and left it running, and that my friend is were the problem is. I am set up 40 feet from your generator and get to listen to it for 6 hours while your our enjoying the quite.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, If you want complete silence, plug your ears. I don't care for the knocking, banging Diesel tow vehicles either, but they can camp too. This world is a noisy place; Have you ever spent the night in a hospital? Tell them you want complete silence. Make sure no airplanes fly over your Blue paradise. (you might hear them) I love my Yamaha 2400 generator and I want to camp right next to you. :C

Never been on the Blue Ridge have you. It is really quiet up there. Fire flies lay on the bushes like a blanket of Christmas lights. You can hear Owls screech a mile away. Except of course when some one is running a generator.

This blue ridge place seems like a great location to find out how long my open frame Champion 3500 can run on a single tank of gas just powering a loud stereo system.

Obviously I am just kidding but do you guys walk around in slippers so as not to disturb the other side of the lake? It does sound beautiful and a good candidate for a no-generator policy.

I'd love to be able to dry camp without a generator. Unfortunately, living deep in Florida with kids in the school system, I need to stick with electricity. In our TT days, we could fit in one of my favorite state parks ever but there were no hookups. a full family,2 dogs and heat index above 110 every humid day and I was running the Genny. I felt awful and did everything I could to mitigate the annoyance to others except spending the $3000 on an inverter that I did not have to spend.

I've been in a tent next to the people that fire up the black and decker screamer the first minute it is allowed at 6am and it sucks. On the other hand, the people who wait till it gets hot don't bug me much. The inverters don't bug me at all since they don't usually get loud until they start running the ACs around here.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Champion just released a wireless remote start version of the 3100i.

Champion 3100i
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't see how anybody could complain about a quite inverter generator! Mine is so quite, I've forgot to shut it off and gone fishing for 6 hours. These people would ***** about any thing.
MM49

West_Coast_Canu
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought this generator from Costco, it runs my 13,500 btu AC on my TT and the microwave. For a invertor generator, it is quiet and give a big bang for the buck. I am happy with the purchase. I got it for $799.99 instead of
$2500.00 for the Honda,

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JiminDenver wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
That's the great thing about camping, there is such a vast diversity in the different ways we do it and the equipment we use to do it with. I may not want to be parked next to a generator but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate someone spending the extra cash to get the quietest thing they can afford.

Again. there is NO such thing as a quiet generator in a Blue Ridge Parkway Campground.

Terry

There is a reason I put the time, effort and money into being able to camp out in the middle of no where. It was so I never had to listen to someone's generator OR listen to someone complain about someones generator. It is also so that no one ever has to hear mine if we ever do need it, hear our dogs bark because we around things for them to bark at. Out there the only noises we hear are nature and the noise we make.

Now if we chose to go to a campground, and I mean any campground, I know that there will be noises outside of nature there and have to accept that as part of being there. I'm just glad the jerk that ran his generator 24/7 in the next spot had a Honda 3000 and not the open frame I could hear from across the lake.

Sometimes you just have to count your blessings.

On the BRP. You can hear a Honda across the lake. Shoot. You can hear a lantern across the lake.
last year as we came out of the camper. We heard a generator. Couldn't see it. Turned out. It was a small Honda. The kind you can carry with one hand, about the size of a battery. Was loud enough to hear 100' away. Kept the deer away. they came back after he left.

IMOP. IF a person wants all the luxuries of home, and can't live without electricity for a couple of days. Stay in a CG that has electricity, and leave the primitive CGs to the campers. And BTW. No one can run their generator 24/7 up there.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Just curious, but how did this thread turn into a generator, no generator debate. Could have sworn the OP was just sharing information about his new 'toy'. :h

You are correct, but all is not lost. It might serve as a gentle reminder for those with generators (me included now 🙂 ) to be respectful of others.

Bullet, I believe many campers are. I am interested in how your Champion works out because when I do purchase a generator, I want to get an inverter type for the lower sound level. I already have a 5500 watt 3600 rpm 'screamer' I use at home for 'hurricane duty'. I would never think of using it on a camping trip; shoot I do all I can to muffle its racket when using it at home in a power outage.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Just curious, but how did this thread turn into a generator, no generator debate. Could have sworn the OP was just sharing information about his new 'toy'. :h

You are correct, but all is not lost. It might serve as a gentle reminder for those with generators (me included now 🙂 ) to be respectful of others.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this tread went downhill quickly.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
And that is why we don't enjoy dry camping anymore.....we were forced to move on. Thanx