cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 5 days to get an old truck camper

bandit86
Explorer
Explorer
I had 2 toy haulers in the past, worked great, but had to sell for financial reasons. Now I need to be in the field, and need amenities. No room for a camper, so truck camper it is. Never gave the much thought before, but now I need one because I need to pull another trailer with tools and quads, etc.

2003 dodge ram 2500 hd 4x4, sort box, with 35x12.5 17 mud tires, and lots and lots of dirt roads. The site is a muddy dirt road, lots of clay, and foresty things like potholes, sticks, logs.

My budget is about 2 grand. Stop laughing, it's all I can afford now, and it needs to be decent, and light. Ican always coat the outside if it leaks, I just need a warplane to sleep and cook breakfast/ shower.

How easy are these to take off? I see some have elevator jacks, is that standard? Best way to make these lightweight so I can keep tools and such inside?

Do these have ownerships like trailers?
16 REPLIES 16

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
search all craigs list every state, there out there just siting under a tarp waiting to be used again.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Some states are title and license, some aren't.
How to make it lightweight? Lol. Buy a lightweight one, which should t be an issue given your budget and shortbed model.
Pay attention to rear overhang since your towing... On a budget. Big hitches get expensive, but short enough camper with little/no drop down in back can typically get by with shorter hitch extensions depending on the trailer.
I wouldn't even consider one that doesn't have 4 permanently attached working jacks.
Should be on Craigslist not here right now!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold