cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have an Outfitter Apex 8 and a black tank problem

KatheK
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 2011 Apex 8 LB and have it on our 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 crew cab long bed truck.

Our problem is this. When the black tank gets fullish (it doesn't appear full looking into the tank from the toilet) it leaks and drips out from under the rear. Not very pleasant. I would have expected to see it looking full from the toilet hatch first.

So, what we did is the following:

1. Open up the rear vertical panel inside the back door to see if there was a leak in the plumbing connections. There was nothing apparent

2. Pull the toilet, put some caulk around the outside of the lower pipe that drops into the tank, put some caulk on the outside of the pipe that drops down under the toilet into the black tank, replace the rubber seal and then the toilet.

We still have the problem.

Any ideas?

I'd also like to comment that it is very difficult to get the tanks completely empty without parking on a hill with the right front higher than the left. Of course no dump site in the world allows that to happen so we get creative at times.

In general, we like the camper even though it's difficult to get in and out of bed. We are currently on a 4 month Baja boondocking adventure and have just arrived in La Paz after 6 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Kathe and Bonnie
5 REPLIES 5

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I can't help with your problem. But I think you'll be happy with a casette toilet. I got mine new in 2007, and I wouldn't have anything else. You may need to empty it a little more often, but it sure is easy.
(If you have the option, I suggest getting a hand sprayer to 'flush', instead of using the built in flush. Uses way less water)
Cal

KatheK
Explorer
Explorer
COboondocker, we will try the leveling block under the right front tire idea. We are still trying to decide whether we want to keep this camper and if we do, then we are considering adding a cassette toilet and using the black tank space for additional storage. Before we go to that expense, we need to decide whether we are keeping it.
Kathe and Bonnie

KatheK
Explorer
Explorer
Oldtymeflyer, isn't your solution exactly what I did? Maybe it's not clear to me because of a vocabulary issue. I called Bob Ward about the problem and he made the same suggestion you did and I thought that's what I did...we didn't find anything that was loose. The piece of pipe that enters the tank was not loose and the piece of pipe that slips into the one in the tank and is attached to the plastic flange was also not loose.
Kathe and Bonnie

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Oldtymeflyr has the likely source of the leak. Bob has been great about answering our questions and was able to solve our issues quickly over the phone since he knows the camper so well.

As far as getting it completely empty, just put a leveling block down on your front right tire when you pull into the dump station.

Probably won't help you now since you're on the road but you could look into getting a composting toilet and ditching the black tank completely.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
It could be the toilet flange-shaft that you look down that goes into the black waste tank.

Remove the camper from the truck, there is an access door just under the sink and you should be able to get a look at the front of the tank. What is happening.

Take the toe kick off of the step up into the camper. You should be able to get a look at what is happening.

I had this problem and it was the toilet flange neck. It was loose and I replaced it. Pull the toilet flange out with the drain pipe-neck. Not that difficult, To reinstall it use plenty of silicone to seal the shaft-neck into place. Be sure to position and install the toilet bolts before you finalize things. You may have done this, but its important to pull the neck out, its difficult to get a good seal without pulling it out.

If its something else the above should help you to know what is happening. You may want to give Bob at Outfitter a call, they have been helpful to us.

We like our camper as well but as with all equipment it does require maintenance.

Good Luck.

Rick