cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm very happy to report...

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
... that, after driving to our favorite campground this weekend, I got 17.3 MPG from my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. It was my first trip pulling with the new truck.

My 2014 1500 Hemi never got more than 10 MPG on the same trip. And, the EcoDiesel pulled much easier and rode much better than the Hemi ever did. The EcoDiesel's torque is pretty amazing, and I was pulling in 5th gear at 60 MPH up a grade that would have had the Hemi in 3rd.

Combine the towing performance with the solo 20 MPG around town, and 31 MPG on the highway, and I couldn't be happier.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
22 REPLIES 22

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report. The turbo diesel should work wonders in high mountains.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Watching the mileage on the computer wasn't so much fun this trip. We do litres per 100 kilometers , so the higher the number the worse. It was up to 19s, but I was doing 100 to 110 kph. If I wanted watch grass grow I'ld drive a gasser.
Adventure before dementia

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you're enjoying your truck! I'm trying really hard to stop watching the computer. Having live feedback really just causes me to focus on something I can do nothing about.

We leave soon for a 6k mile trip. My plan is to set the dashboard to show me the tranny temp and never switch it over! 🙂
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm hauling I don't check my gas mileage, I know it won't be that great, that said I just want a dependable engine to get me there and back. Did check a couple of times when first purchased the TV and hauling get around 11.2 mpg on a flat hiway and rolling max speed of 60mph, that was when couple of times.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most folks tow with what they have unless it is a horrible miss-match. My F-150 pulls my 25 ft Dutchmen just fine.

Would an F-250 be better, probably; but not enough to make me want to rush out and buy one.

Likewise,if one came along at the right price, that would be a good thing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I have almost 10k miles towing our coach nationally with our 3d and it is by far the most amazing tow platform I have experienced. the mileage is incredible but the relaxed feel of it lugging 5k lbs calmly is what the truck does best. Add in the 8 speed zf and full air suspension, nothing compares. Enjoy, and if your like me I hope they don't change the new ones much. If they do this one will be tough to replace.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
nadkaw1957 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
That's great. Congrats on the new truck. Hopefully, you'll have many more good trips to report on.

Why, oh, why do some of you want to turn a positive post into more of a negative thing? I guess that ought to go to the thread of things I don't understand.

I was wondering the same thing, Kip.

I think it's called a differing opinion.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
That's great. Congrats on the new truck. Hopefully, you'll have many more good trips to report on.

Why, oh, why do some of you want to turn a positive post into more of a negative thing? I guess that ought to go to the thread of things I don't understand.

I was wondering the same thing, Kip.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, I did the math a year ago, but my diesel is cheaper to own and operate after 75,000 miles.

Had a 5.7 Hemi which got 13 mpg in town, and 18 (best-case) on the highway. 14 mpg towing.

My diesel gets 24 around town, 30+ on the highway, and 21.5 towing.

Diesel package cost an extra $4,500.

Diesel fuel around here used to be about a 25 cent premium to gasoline. At that rate, it would have taken me 100,000 miles to break even. But, for longer than a year, diesel has been the same price as (about 5 months), or cheaper than (about 8 months), gasoline. Since I have 85,000 miles on my 2014 diesel, I am now money-ahead with the diesel. Have not had any issue with the entire vehicle, let alone the engine, so no cost-of-repairs, to date.

DEF is $7.50/bx, and I use about 2 bx per 10,000 miles. So, about 1.5 cents per mile in addition to 7.1 cents, or so, per mile of fuel. (Hemi was about 13.3 cents per mile.)

I will take my diesel for towing over the Hemi gasser, any day! I have heard good reports about the newest gassers with turbos, but turbos have their potential for expense, also. My diesel has a turbo, so it is a wash on potential cost for that.

You can use your gasser, I will continue to own diesels, as long as I am towing and driving lots of miles. Nothing wrong with going either way, as long as someone gets enough engine and power for the TV/TT combo they will use. Personal preference, and I prefer diesel.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
How much does it cost you to drive 10,000 miles. With the cost of the DEF and the oil changes for the diesel, and the cost of buying the diesel motor over the cost of a gas motor. I know when a diesel breaks, it's much more then a gas motor to repair.. I only pull a 22 footer and after doing the math I think it's cheaper to pull with a gas motor,

I will be the first to admit there is NOTHING cheap about driving my 3500 diesel dully. Add the cost of insurance, loan, fuel, oil changes, tires, repairs, service calls, and everything else, it's absolutely an expensive endeavor.

BUT ... If I want something to comfortable and safely tow my travel trailer, it's all worth it!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If I forget to reset the fuel economy computer when I start a trip with the TT attached I can get some pretty fantastic fuel mileage.

That's because it's averaging in the last 2-4 months of driving without the TT.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You know ... in the scope of "all" things, fuel mileage is what it is, plain and simple! You can't change it except by varying your driving style. You put "so much" fuel in your tank and you can can travel only "so far" until you have to add more. A rough estimate, an approximate amount, a starting baseline is about the best any of us can get. Even hand calculated is not 100% accurate. Does your odometer read in thousands of a mile? Shoot, my current vehicles don't even show 10th any more, just whole miles. So .... where's the "true" accuracy, even with a hand calculation? Sorry, it's just not there, hand calculated or computer generated. (but I favor the computer generated). Do you fill your tank completely to the very tip-top of the fill neck on your vehicle? If you don't, you don't have an exact begin reference point, no matter how hard you try. Both variables, "a full tank, and the odometer" both have enough "slop" in variation to make a hand calculation inaccurate too. (sorry, hate to bust everyone bubble who believes hand calculation is the absolute best, but there really is too much variation with the starting numbers for any vehicle... unless it's a multi-million dollar super duper race car, or the Space Shuttle!)

Either way, the best we can all hope for is an "approximation" (say, somewhere between 10 and 12, or somewhere between 14 and 16). Take the lower number and plan your trip accordingly. After all, isn't that what its really all about anyway? How far can I travel and how much will it cost me?

Edit:
One more variable I just though about when re-reading this thread:

You do know that the temperature of your fuel (especially diesel) will cause the density of the full to change also. If you fill your vehicle with cold diesel, say (2 extremes here for example) ... with it's 10 degrees, and fill your tank to the very tip-top brim. Let it sit and now the temperature of the diesel reaches 95, the fuel will expand and spill over the tank.

So ... how much of this variation goes into the calculations of your fuel mileage. This may account why hand calculations and computer calculations are sometimes a tenth, to 2 miles different when calculating. The usage of the fuel has a variance based upon the temperature of the fuel. This is JUST something to think about for those who are bent on hand calculations only.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
How much does it cost you to drive 10,000 miles. With the cost of the DEF and the oil changes for the diesel, and the cost of buying the diesel motor over the cost of a gas motor. I know when a diesel breaks, it's much more then a gas motor to repair.. I only pull a 22 footer and after doing the math I think it's cheaper to pull with a gas motor,