cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a little advice on what direction to go to fix this

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I was installing some 5A usb/12V socket plugs on each side of the bed on my Passport 2920BH. I am running the power into my front dunnage and was just going to tap into the Hot and Not going to my front wall (And only) light fixture in the dunnage. When I removed it from the wall the negative became disconnected from it's crimp? in the wall.

I'm not crazy worried since it's the negative and have some time to think this through but still want to finish and do this right.

My options as I see it are:

- Use a dremle with a base on a really shallow setting to make the wire hole bigger and expand it down in between the screw hols if needed to find the negative connector.

- Take off the front diamond plate (This will be very involved and require alot of re-sealing so I'm shying away from this option)\

- ?????

Any other suggestions?

PICTURES
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2920BH
18 REPLIES 18

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the completed install. I have 1 set on each side of the bed.

http://imgur.com/a/WWsJq

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
drumming102 wrote:
westend wrote:
Typically, the (-) phase is color coded White and the (+) phase is coded Black in all RV wiring schemes. Your picture shows a loose Black wire.

I figured this out once I opened it up and seen a White wire and the black wire should have been connected to a Blue with white stripe. I back up and decided to meter everything and got it switched back around. All fixed now, Thank everyone.

I'll post pictures of the 12v DC/5A USB outlets I installed. I have 1 more to install in the cabinet in the rear for the daughters Kindle Charger.

Good deal! Yeah, post up some finished project pics. More USB chargers are definitely on my to-do list.

I'll post up pics soon in the mods section. These are the outlets I installed on each side of the bed. Also picked up a 3rd to Install in the rear cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014DHXJTE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

You can prob find them cheaper not on amazon but I prefer the GENEROUS return policy.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
drumming102 wrote:
westend wrote:
Typically, the (-) phase is color coded White and the (+) phase is coded Black in all RV wiring schemes. Your picture shows a loose Black wire.

I figured this out once I opened it up and seen a White wire and the black wire should have been connected to a Blue with white stripe. I back up and decided to meter everything and got it switched back around. All fixed now, Thank everyone.

I'll post pictures of the 12v DC/5A USB outlets I installed. I have 1 more to install in the cabinet in the rear for the daughters Kindle Charger.

Good deal! Yeah, post up some finished project pics. More USB chargers are definitely on my to-do list.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the fix.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a Harbor Freight an get at least two of the flexable grabbers, the ones that you mash the button and grabbers come out the end. Its about the handiest tool you can get, and when you need one, nothing else will work. It should be at least one in each of your tool boxes, and another one or two laying around is not a bad idea. Make sour your helper know that it is a "grabber thingie" so they can find it for you.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I lost a tail light wire behind my back paneling. What worked best (after several try's) was a long nylon tie or zip tie. Flexible (yet could bend it around)and wrapped gorilla tape around. When real quiet I could hear when it picked up wire and when it fell off. Took several cups of coffee. Was almost going to buy cheap harbor freight flexible camera to check out behind paneling.
Was explaining triumpful moment to my neighbor some time later and he had this handy thing, can't remember real name but this search works for what he had and not to much money.

https://www.google.com/search?q=part+picker+upper+tool&biw=1188&bih=566&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ve...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I finally saw your pictures. Is this in a pass-through storage area? Not actually inside the camper living area? If so, I'd just cut that paneling and find the wire. Then cover it up with a bit of 1/4 inch plywood glued with liquid nails. If this is inside a storage area, it won't hurt anything. Make the hole bigger and fish around. I'd do it in a heart beat, no qualms at all.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
You can eaisly cut a big enough hole behind that fixture and still be able to cover it up with the fixture. Cut one big enough for kid to get his hand in there and fish around, your own or borrow one. BTW that is the hot not the neutral, you have lost

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
YC 1 wrote:
Can you use a blank wall plate to cover a larger hole? If you are mounting a lighter type socket you can drill a blank plate and mount it to that.

Silly me! I missed the picture link. Looks like you have plenty of room to cut some panel out. A heavy duty packing knife will do it. A hand held hack saw blade holder works well.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go easy if you use the Dremel, if you slip, you can do a lot of damage. Ask me how I know!!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would go with your first suggestion but cut a slot an inch wide or so down between the mounting screws. Use a Dremel type multipurpose tool (there are multiple brands) to make a nice clean straight cut. Will never show behind that cover. Hopefully what ever it connected to is not down there the full length of the wire.