Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing Stereo - Wiring Issue

raden13
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for assistance with a power/wiring issue for a stereo I'm installing in our travel trailer. Stereo is a Kenwood DPX592BT. There was an older stereo before and the wiring I'm working with includes 2 wires for power and 4 wires for 2 speakers. The wiring diagram (partially pictured below) shows +Red for the ignition, +Yellow to the battery, black to ground. I twisted the red and yellow from the new stereo together and then connected them to the existing +Positive wire and connected the black wire to the existing -Ground. I've got 2 12V batteries powering the trailer and once I had it wired the stereo worked no issues.

Fast forward to yesterday when I plugged in the trailer's electrical to charge everything up before our trip and the stereo was making a buzzing sound. It still turned on, but the buzzing led me to believe something was wrong. I disconnected the hot wires (red, yellow and existing hot) and tried connecting the existing hot wire to the red only then the yellow only and was not able to power up the stereo. I turned a light on in the trailer and then tried connecting it like I did before (Red, yellow and existing positive) and the light got brighter, stereo buzzed and still turned on.

Unsure how to handle the wiring and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

19 REPLIES 19

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ScottG as to the source of the buzzing. It might get better as the battery approaches fully charged. Just as an FYI, the red wire would be for switched power in a vehicle while the yellow wire is for constant power. The yellow wire keeps the settings when the ignition switch in a car is turned off. That is why you need to have both of them connected to 12V power.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
raden13 wrote:
jhlady: Not sure where the ground wire originates as it disappears into the wall. Assuming the converter, but no idea.

ScottG: What would upgrading the converter entail? Replacing the entire panel, or certain components?

Would it help to run wires directly from the the battery as a separate circuit?

I don't think it would do much good to run wires dierectly to the battery. The hum is coming from AC that the converter is sending to the battery. A new converter will not have the AC aspect, just clean DC.
The converter itself is just a sub assembly of the panel. Usually it's in the bottom area of it.
It's not a bad job. only 120V (3 wires) and 12VDC (2 wires).
depending on what you have, the new converter section may or may not go back into the same spot. Either way it's an easy change.
You'll need to identify what converter you have and then visit Best Converter.com.
I suggest a three stage charger/converter like Progressive Dynamics Inc (PDI). They're better for your battery's health and charge faster.

raden13
Explorer
Explorer
jhlady: Not sure where the ground wire originates as it disappears into the wall. Assuming the converter, but no idea.

ScottG: What would upgrading the converter entail? Replacing the entire panel, or certain components?

Would it help to run wires directly from the the battery as a separate circuit?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It sounds like the converter is putting out a lot of ripple. With a dirty power supply like that it will be worse when it's trying to charge a low battery.
It may be time to upgrade your converter.

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Raden13,

This sounds like a grounding issue. Did you connect the ground wire to the battery terminal or directly to the frame of the trailer? Might try changing the grounding location and see if that takes care of the buzzing problem.

Hope this helps.