Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry door sag, But no wood frame?

solar07
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

The upper portion of our 2010 Sunybrook entry door has been hitting the frame when you try to close it for some time. If you lift the door up it wont hit in the upper left corner. I know the hings pins are a but worn but not terribly. I did notice however, that the aluminum framing around the door looks to be pulling awar from the skin thus its pulling outward from the hinge. In the picture, the frame I am pointing to, is some of the culprit. That is where the hinge attaches however, that frame is pulling away from the door. After reading and reading, most say the door is made up of a shaved down 2x2 or so piece of wood and likely rotted out or is shotty from the factory. I pulled my door off and lifted the frame slightly as it doesnt seem to want to come off all the way around. Much to my surprise, there is NO wood. It is 100% foam. Per the pics, the screws from the hinge go into the aluminum band and then thats it. They hold dont grab anything after that. It looks as though it was just glued and the glue has let loose.

So, my question is, do I just try to spread some new liquid nails in there, clamp it, and see if it holds? I thought about taking some small white screws and running them through where the aluminum lips onto the plastic skin for some extra support.

Thoughts? Thank you for any help.

The culprit

Foam

Glue
5 REPLIES 5

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
get a cheap "multi-tool" (vibrating cutting blades) and cut out the foam portion at the hinge. Then slide in a block of wood, with glue and set it into the front / back panels and then pre-drill new screw holes and remount frame with or without glue elsewhere for added hold.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, nothing to hold onto, just the frame, only foam inside. We had one RV (now sold) that the factory had screws and they came loose.

Door sagged a bit. Because screws had nothing to hold on to, I used rivets. The short type or non extended length. And might have to sand down a washer or 2 to get door to hang exactly right.

Doors are easy to misuse and they cost a fortune to replace...

Fix door then no more slamming shut or hanging on when going out the door.

Same with screen door. Look how the whole thing works. Just a little bit off and trouble is coming. Hinge is long ways from where people hold on to the them and they are just alum.

(edit ) also put in one of these. They help a lot.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/screen-door-cross-bar-black-handle/35872&utm_source=google...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the door and frame and reinstall it with the proper reveals around the perimeter.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever glue you use, test on a piece of scrap foam. Many types of glue will eat the foam. Generally 2 part epoxies are OK.

On my MH, it was the attached screen door causing the problem. Fix was to bend the hinge back.

Norm
F1BNorm

solar07
Explorer
Explorer
Also I stuck a screw driver into the foam about 4" and didnt hit anything solid.