cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with my AC.

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a strange issue with my Dometic Duo-therm AC in my Cavalier TT. The compressor does not want to kick on when it gets hot outside. The unit works fine for the majority of time but when the sun is at full force between around 12-4pm (when i need it most) it doesn't want to come on. I bought a Duo-therm analog AC control kit and replaced the old one yesterday but apparently that was not the problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this kind of issue?
16 REPLIES 16

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Free is best!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
For reference, there is a sensor attached to it. I found when mine would not run in the heat, it was the cause. It is a thermal overload protector. If the A/C is running too hot hot it will shut it down. If it is faulty it will shut it down prematurely. I cannot remember exactly what it looked like but it was black & round and had 2 wires attached to it. It was cheap to replace.

It looks like this

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Its great when you fix something yourself......for free!!!
:C

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to get it fixed. Turns out it was a dirty condenser. It had about a 1/4" layer of build up on the inside of it. Thank you to everyone who commented and helped me solve the problem.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
On the older round Dometic thermostats, they will not work if the temperature of the thermostat is over 100 degrees. To get them to work, hold a bag of frozen peas against it to cool it off. A bag of frozen corn will work just as well. Once cooled down it should work. If the trailer has been shut up it can get over 100 degrees in there.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I got out the ladder to check it out a it started raining. I will get up there tomorrow and give an update when I get it cleaned.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
So it starts up but won't continue when it's hot....
Sounds like possible condenser fan problem on top, or condenser may be dirty causing high head pressure when it gets hot outside and the unit shuts itself off to protect itself.

I agree with the dirty condenser being the cause...plus it's an easy fix if it is the problem....brush off surface dirt and use compressed air to blow dirt from between fins.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
So it starts up but won't continue when it's hot....
Sounds like possible condenser fan problem on top, or condenser may be dirty causing high head pressure when it gets hot outside and the unit shuts itself off to protect itself.

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
There is no humming or pause when it it cycling on/off. It has came on about about 4 times since I started this post. It only stayed on for a few minutes each time. Not even long enough to drop it a degree in here. I don't get it because it will run all night without a problem.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
You can pull the cover on top and see if your unit came without a start capacitor. Some do some don't. $20 fix and super easy install.
Is it humming then kicking off or not even trying?

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
I have it plugged in at my home. We do tend to have a few brown outs every summer in my neighborhood tho. This 95º Louisiana weather has everyone's AC wide open. I will try to check a few times throughout this evening and see if anything changes.

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the try. 88º Inside here.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
117 is ok.. the voltage is virtually the same everywhere. Did you measure it in the hot afternoon? Can you measure it when the a/c is trying to run?

If you're in a crowded CG with other rigs running their airs, that could mean the voltage is sagging badly. Other than that, I have no idea.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
What's the voltage at your rig?

Good question!

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers