cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jay flight 185rb

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a Jay Flight 185RB..any opinions on the window air and the heater instead of furnace as nd roof air?
12 REPLIES 12

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
10Grands wrote:
Ok we bought the 19RD...first night out...all is well...learning something all the time :)... we are cool and truck is doing fine pulling it...

Congratulations! Good choice. The 19RD is a nice camper. It came out the same year as the Swift 198RD, in 2011. Jayco for 2015 discontinued the Swift line but merged it into the models of the Jay Flight Line. The 2015 Jay Flights deleted floor heat ducts and higher capacity frames on none slide models, but are offering some nicer features.

I had the 2008 Jay Flight 19BH previous to my 2012 Jay Flight 26BH. The 19BH was phased out for the 19RD in 2012, after the 19RD was introduced in 2011.

I think the 19BH was phased out for the 19RD's bigger Queen Bed while still keeping the bunk above. They did downsize the sofa to 60" from 70". We needed the 19BH's 70" sofa for it's longer length, when made to a bed, for guests.

I like the 19RD, it seems a nice floorplan for a smaller family. I do miss the days of the shorter length of the 19BH as the 26BH makes it hard to get into some State Park campsites.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we bought the 19RD...first night out...all is well...learning something all the time :)... we are cool and truck is doing fine pulling it...

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that post above is me.. I thought the window air was a great idea, one less hole in the roof, and cheap replacement if it failed.. However now I have an unusable brand new trailer, that I have to spend more $$$ to make usable... Ask me if I'm happy!
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm glad you posted...I'm thinking we're making the right decision for now...I know there can be issues any time but if we start out with the proper equipment that should be half the battle..

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thread about someone in a similar TT with an 8,000 btu in wall AC who is sweating while trying to sleep.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling my 19RD with 1/4 tank water and loaded for camping with a stock 06' GMC 1500 with the 5.3 .. no issues at all. Elated that I traded up a little. The interior seems like a concert hall compared to the 185RB
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
All info from print & dealers say truck should be good. We just thought initially the 185rb was lighter and would be best...then after more study, concerns popped up about window air, ceiling height and smaller black tank...I'm thinking we will go with the 198 which is now the 19rd ..any other suggestions appreciated

mattinga
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 184BH. We are currently looking at a larger one to trade up to. If I recall, the only difference in what we have and what you have is basically the bunks are switched to a two person dinette, but that the shell is the same. It's very easy to tow, easy in and out anywhere with your truck. I have a Silverado and we've been to Maine and back in ours. No problems whatsoever. The main reason were trading is because we have a growing family and there's just not enough space on a rainy day. The a/c does struggle when it's humid, like it usually is in South Georgia. When we've been to the beach and the air is a little dryer it's okay. I think they have an upgrade to a 13k btu roof unit, so definitely get that if you're buying new.

I think this size is great for two people, but any more and it might be tough when you have to stay inside. Especially since you'll have a dedicated dinette - we use ours as the adult bed. There's actually a surprising amount of storage space in these, so that won't be a problem.

PM me if you'd like any more insight. Be glad to elaborate further on anything.
2013 Silverado Crew Z71 - integrated brake controller, 3.42 ratio, 5.3L
2010 Jayco Jay Flight 25BHS

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping, we looked at a Coleman with a similar layout to the 198RD and really liked how light and bright the back of the trailer was with the dinette and sofa.

As long as you're not loading up the F150 with cargo, I'm willing to bet you're within specs on size.

You also should look up the engine details on what RPM is max horsepower and get comfortable with the idea you might need to run at or near that range when climbing hills. Some people get freaked out at the idea of running for any time above 2,500 RPM.

I've done multi-mile stretches in 3rd gear in my SUV and the temperature gauge never budged over where it sits while I'm driving around town without the TT.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
So if we went with the 198rd... (I think that was it) we would be able to pull with F150 with a small 8? We haven't picked it up yet so perhaps we should rethink?

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be also worried about the short 73" ceiling height, the extremely small waste water tanks, and extremely low cargo capacity, lower than many pop ups.

If you guys are smaller and camp with full hookups all the time, guess it would work out if you can get that A/C to keep up over 80 degrees. Perhaps find a full shade site.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded mine in last week - The window air is almost useless after 80 degrees.. the heater works wonderful. I traded due to the inconvenience of putting up and putting down the dinette to sleep constantly - got one with a stand alone queen bed. I traded for a 19RD - a little step up, with little weight difference. Otherwise, a great little trailer.
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.