Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Eagle 284BHBE - second AC?

ecksdude
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, another newb question:

I'm looking at purchasing a Jayco Eagle 284BHBE. This trailer is ~34 feet long and comes with a 13.5K A/C.

What I want to know is this: I assume the stock 13.5K BTU A/C is not optimal, and therefore am getting it upgraded to 15K BTU. That said, there is a factory option for 50A service and a second ducted A/C in the bedroom.

Anyone with experience with Eagle trailers, is it worth it to wait the 3 months for the build and get a trailer with 50A and the second A/C, or will the 15K BTU A/C be enough for the whole trailer?

I expect we will be spending some very hot days inside the trailer and I'm the type of person who's very picky about the indoor temp being 73 or below.

I just don't know how effective the 15K BTU is going to be to cool the whole trailer on, say a 110 degree day?

Opinions? My previous experience has been in a 25 foot trailer with a 13.5K unit that we lived in for 6 weeks a couple of years ago... I thought that was alright (if noisy) even in the Oklahoma heat, but it was a MUCH smaller trailer.
20 REPLIES 20

ecksdude
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after hearing all of your replies, it sounds like the better option would be to order the trailer rather than picking one off the lot.

I've yet to see this model (or any Eagle's really) new on the lot with 50A service.

Thanks for the replies. This forum is awesome!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to order, just get the 2nd AC. It's by far cheaper from the factory than adding later, even with the "prep package". $700 with 30% discount or $700 retail + labor, yours or a service place.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thought.
Buy the unit with the "50 Amp and 2nd A.C. Prep.Option" (without the actual 2nd AC unit installed). Then you will have the option to later install the 2nd AC if needed. The bedroom will have the 120 Volt wired and reinforced for the AC if needed.

This is the way we ordered our last 2 trailers. Oh, it's nice to have the 50 Amp available if you need it.

Happy trails.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the current wait for an ordered trailer from Jayco is 6-8 weeks, not 3 months, if that helps. 🙂
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would definitely think seriously about both the 15K upgrade, and the 50 Amp upgrade. Not sure if I would worry about the dual A/C. As a point of reference, I don't have the Eagle, but I have a Tracer 2640RLS.

It has factory upgraded 15K A/C, and thus far, it's been enough in the Georgia summer. I leave the fan running and the A/C cycles on and off, keeping the trailer pretty much at 72 where I want it.

I wish I had 50 AMP in my TT. A friend was having breaker problems with his 30 amp service and he bought a box to measure amp draw. He measured A/C, Elec HW heater, and Fridge, and those three exceeded 30 Amps on his trailer. I borrowed the box, and measured mine. Im better, but my 15K A/C used 12.5 amps, my HW heater (on electric) uses 12. Fridge took 2.5 and microwave took 8.3. So, with A/C running, and my HW heater on elec, and fridge on electric, if I use the microwave, Im over. Microwave took 8.3. by the way. With the first three, Im already at 27 AMPs. I don't like being that close, so I will likely run HW heater on propane.

So, I think, given the option, I would definitely go 15K A/C and 50 Amp upgrade.
I wish the manufacturer would have thought about doing a 50 Amp upgrade with the 15K A/C upgrade in the factory.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very similar floorplan with 13.5k BTU AC. Shallower slide, but I suspect the Eagle has better insulation. We have never has a problem with keeping it cool, 70 degrees inside when the doors stay closed. I'd get the 15k next time, but I can't imagine dual AC is necessary unless you lived in a southern state. Single 15K is all my friend has with a 38' 5th wheel.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)