cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keep Sliders Open in Storage?

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
How long can sliders be kept open without fear of bending supports under the sliders? Would leaving sliders open in a northern Wisconsin winter while in unheated storage change your answer? If the sliders are going to be kept open for long periods (e.g. months), should supports be put under the sliders?
19 REPLIES 19

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
It will be completely covered from precipitation. The goal will be to dry dock camp. I realize a slider motor is designed to transfer the slides repeatedly. However, I wonder if it would save wear and tear to just leave the slides out when there's no plan to move it for a while.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's fine to leave slides open or closed. Only issue might be big snow accumulation if outside, but beyond that it's six of one vs half dozen of the other.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GeneDoc wrote:
Would leaving sliders open in a northern Wisconsin winter while in unheated storage change your answer?

I read into this you have a reason for wanting to do so - perhaps you want to periodically access the interior but can't if the slides are in the stored position? If not, why else would you want to leave the slides deployed? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I store mine closed in an unheated pole barn.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming we aren't talking about feet of snow piled up, structurally, it's not an issue. Inside it's absoluetly not a structural issue.

Don't try to support them from below. They aren't designed for it and if you get a flat, it is likely to damage the slide as the trailer settles.

For the 20 seconds it takes to put in or out, we prefer to keep it closed: Less wear and tear on the slide toppers and slide seals are covered against UV damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV