cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Sliders Open in Storage?

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
How long can sliders be kept open without fear of bending supports under the sliders? Would leaving sliders open in a northern Wisconsin winter while in unheated storage change your answer? If the sliders are going to be kept open for long periods (e.g. months), should supports be put under the sliders?
19 REPLIES 19

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We've had several units over the years with slides open up to 8 months a year without any issues. I do however cycle the slides in & out every few weeks and spray dry silicone lube on gears/hydraulic rams etc... to exercise the seals. Likely unnecessary but do it anyway.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
When we wintered in Florida slides were deployed constantly for 5 months. What is the difference? I see no problem in doing this.

We also snowbird to FL. We have previously departed FL. after a lot of the birds have headed north in spring, and presently we are here, well before the majority arrive for the season. As a result we walk past hundreds of units that are sealed, awaiting their owner's arrive. The one thing that all of them have in common is that they are stored with the slides closed. There are many good reasons to do so, in this climate.

First, the potential for leaks is reduced. Second, the potential for vermin infestation, everything from cockroaches to squirrels chewing slide seals, is reduced. Next, most of the slide seals are tightly trapped behind flanges when closed, away from the direct sun, and avoidable UV damage. Finally, if the slides have fabric toppers, they last a bit longer, since the sun is not destroying as much of the fabric.

Every year we watch folks return to their rigs in fL. and enter them for the first time, with their fingers crossed, hoping that it's not a moldy, leaky or bug infested mess. Why leave slides open for 6-8 months, and add to the risk?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeneDoc wrote:
Storage area has a steel roof and retractable sides. So, we can camp during the winter, while it's in the RV carport. Again, the basis of the question was leaving the slides open to save wear and tear on the sliders vs excess strain in the slide's supports if left open too long. Sounds like people think the slides could be left open if no concern of snow weight, but the slide gear/motor system is nearly indestructible.
While I said no issue if no snow load I do want to add some mfg recommend storing with slides in so the hydraulic rods do not rust.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Why would anyone store an RV with slides open? If you're not using it, why not seal it up. Less places for critters to gain access.

Uh...because whether its in or out it is sealed. May depend on the model, Old Bisquit noticed on his that it sealed better when closed. Mine has a good seal either way. Makes it harder to steal as well!! 🙂 Which might be a concern if away in storage (which mine is for the first time this year). I think it is a personal preference, like a lot of RV'ing! Just don't have it halfway closed, no seal at all that way!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Storage area has a steel roof and retractable sides. So, we can camp during the winter, while it's in the RV carport. Again, the basis of the question was leaving the slides open to save wear and tear on the sliders vs excess strain in the slide's supports if left open too long. Sounds like people think the slides could be left open if no concern of snow weight, but the slide gear/motor system is nearly indestructible.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would anyone store an RV with slides open? If you're not using it, why not seal it up. Less places for critters to gain access.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We traveled weekly.....slides where OUT for a week/2 weeks then in for 5 hrs on travel day then back out ----repeat for 7 yrs.

Only thing is I noticed slides seal better IN then out. very small gap at floor in both corners when out.
Now that we aren't FTng slides are IN and opened when needed.

Slide are self supporting so no support jacks as they can cause upward pressure on slides which doesn't allow for good sealing AND possible cause damage
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
In a poll barn, it's really not an issue

I think this election has everyone's brain in a frazzle. All we've heard for months is polls, polls and more polls.

We need to be reprogrammed to recognize a pole barn.. :B

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's under a structure to protect the slide from the snow load I don't see a problem.

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for people's thoughts. We're very new to using an RV and didn't want to make more stupid mistakes than we already had.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
When we wintered in Florida slides were deployed constantly for 5 months. What is the difference? I see no problem in doing this.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
GeneDoc wrote:
It will be completely covered from precipitation. The goal will be to dry dock camp. I realize a slider motor is designed to transfer the slides repeatedly. However, I wonder if it would save wear and tear to just leave the slides out when there's no plan to move it for a while.

In a poll barn, it's really not an issue but I wouldn't worry about burning out the motor unless you are doing it several times per day. My bet is most slideout motors die of old age and corrosion not over use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GeneDoc wrote:
The goal will be to dry dock camp.

A "small" but important detail you conveniently left out of your original post. 🙂 You also haven't clarified whether interior access is impeded if you don't deploy the slides ... my guess is yes, otherwise there'd be no reason to not just leave the slides in. Clarification would be helpful BUT if you intend to actually use the trailer while it's being "stored", interior access is impeded if they're not deployed, and you intend to cover the slide tops anyway then sure, leave the slides out.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Stored with the slide open... does that create extra potential for rodent entry versus keeping the slide closed?

Certainly something that would concern me.
I love me some land yachting