cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last shot at a TC...

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I *think* I've decided on a 25 foot travel trailer but went to my favorite (national park) campground this weekend and found out they have an 18 foot limit on trailers. So now I'm just (one more time) ruling out a TC option.

I have a 2017 RAM 3500 Megacab shortbed 4x4 with Cummins and AISIN. SRW. Payload listed at 3950 lb.

I am only interested in a quality, durable, four season brand - thinking Arctic Fox or Lance - though I'm open to others if they fit the need - have to be able to camp in the mountains in the winter for a weekend for skiing.

FIgure the wet weight of my TC shouldn't be more than around 3200 lb, maybe only 3000. That doesn't leave tons of options.

Are there any single slide, sleep 4-5 TCs in this weight and quality range that you'd recommend?
13 REPLIES 13

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PatrickA51 wrote:

When I was looking to buy my 2500 2016 Ram Laramie. I looked at every dealer in So Cal.I looked at Ford's Chevy's GMC's and Ram Trucks. (I switched from Ford to Ram because of the Cummins Engines, If I could have gotten a Cat in a Ford I would still be driving Ford, But I am Very Happy with what I bought and I am not ever going back) I started looking in June of 2015. I could not find what I wanted. I am not trying to Hijack your thread, but my suggestion is Buy what you want not what they have on their lot and have to get rid of. In Jan.2016 I ordered my Ram and with the options I wanted not what every dealer in So. Cal wanted me to buy off their lots. (I hate vehicles that are painted white)

I kind of have to agree with Kayteg1

I did the same with my F350. Took over 2 months of waiting, but by custom order, I got all the options (360 cameras) RWD on my dually I like, while not ordering the stuff factory is pushing (sunroof, crew cab, 4WD) I actually saved money.
By now I know precisely what camper I want and like our Fletwood with single slide for big countertops.
What I don't like is rear door, what with basement makes pretty inconvenient steps (I have glow steps on it). Looking at campers with side door, I love that design, who unfortunately is pretty rare.
But in case of camper I am not spending 60 grands to build one, so have to deal with what is available there. But I will take my time. If I don't find it now, I will find it in the winter.

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Northern Lite 8.11 SE on my 2017 Ford F350. My truck has a payload capacity of 4226 lbs. When I weighed my camper wet it weight 3200 lbs. NL is a true 4 season camper but they do not have a slide. The new 8.11's have a dry bath option you can get now. I have a friend who has an Arctic Fox and he really likes it a lot but it is very heavy.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a good point - One of the Lance models I am looking at claims to sleep 5 but I can see no way how from the photos.

In all cases the "sleeps 4-5" would be 1 night, two at very most - and we spend all day skiing and the evening hanging out at the ski lodge or outside in the sunshine before dark. The TC would just be a place to sleep and potty and cook up a light breakfast in the morning.

Does Northern Lite hold up in the winter? Just for a couple days at a time, nothing prolonged.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The "sleeps 4-5" pretty much leaves out everything but a huge triple slide. My opinion, anyway.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
I *think* I've decided on a 25 foot travel trailer but went to my favorite (national park) campground this weekend and found out they have an 18 foot limit on trailers. So now I'm just (one more time) ruling out a TC option.

I have a 2017 RAM 3500 Megacab shortbed 4x4 with Cummins and AISIN. SRW. Payload listed at 3950 lb.

I am only interested in a quality, durable, four season brand - thinking Arctic Fox or Lance - though I'm open to others if they fit the need - have to be able to camp in the mountains in the winter for a weekend for skiing.

FIgure the wet weight of my TC shouldn't be more than around 3200 lb, maybe only 3000. That doesn't leave tons of options.

Are there any single slide, sleep 4-5 TCs in this weight and quality range that you'd

recommend?

Look at the new Northern Lite 811,dry bath,. I carry the 811 on our 3500 Mega Cab. Love it.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

Bedlam
A Northern Lite is nice if you do not want a slide. I was happy with my Arctic Fox, but it will be heavier than you want.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox 811, but you will be over 4,000 lbs..

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/truck-campers-buyers-guide/
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Northstar is a quality builder that has many fairly low weight options that will easily fit on a 1 ton truck. They use cassette toilets, which I highly recommend.

So do I. My next TC will have one.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northstar is a quality builder that has many fairly low weight options that will easily fit on a 1 ton truck. They use cassette toilets, which I highly recommend.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:

Are there any single slide, sleep 4-5 TCs in this weight and quality range that you'd recommend?

When I was looking to buy my 2500 2016 Ram Laramie. I looked at every dealer in So Cal.I looked at Ford's Chevy's GMC's and Ram Trucks. (I switched from Ford to Ram because of the Cummins Engines, If I could have gotten a Cat in a Ford I would still be driving Ford, But I am Very Happy with what I bought and I am not ever going back) I started looking in June of 2015. I could not find what I wanted. I am not trying to Hijack your thread, but my suggestion is Buy what you want not what they have on their lot and have to get rid of. In Jan.2016 I ordered my Ram and with the options I wanted not what every dealer in So. Cal wanted me to buy off their lots. (I hate vehicles that are painted white)

I kind of have to agree with Kayteg1

Posted By wrote:
Sounds like "money is no object" so why don't you build one to your liking?

Just remember it's what you want not what the salesperson wants to overcharge you with.
Hope you find what you want good luck and enjoy the new 2017 Ram 3500 :B

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Artic Fox makes a non slide model that probably fits your request.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like "money is no object" so why don't you build one to your liking?