cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Length of TT's for State parks

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
What's the max length limits for TT's if I want to still get into state parks and are there more restrictive length limits for TT's for private parks then public?
I'm sure it doesn't make much difference for "off the grid" camping with TT's but I've been hearing rumors of length limits for public and state areas?
just thought I'd ask before I buy too long of one.
18 REPLIES 18

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Every park in which I've ever stayed, whether private or public, has different limits as befits their varied topography. They don't stamp out camp sites using a mold or die, they carve them out as fits the location, and what's more, it's perfectly legal to do that. Thus there is no answer to the question. Whatever rig you get will be too long for some sites and some campgrounds.

My TT is 21 feet, a length most here would classify as a shortie. And I recall staying one night in a KOA that squeezed me into the only available site, which was officially listed as 20 feet or shorter. I had to park my TV out in the parking lot after backing in to where my trailer was up against this fence at the back, and my hitch was right at the edge of the access road. Well, ok, it hung out about 6 inches.

I volunteer at an NFS campground most of which was built in the 1930s. One section is limited to a max of 28 feet, due to the access roads. In that section, there are sites that could accommodate 65 footers easily, if you could get one in there. There are also sites that can accommodate only a car-length, call it 15 feet.

YMMV.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32' Motor home and always trail our toad. It is true, many state parks have shorter sites, and often they contain roads that are more narrow and thus make it harder to maneuver. Having said that, we generally are able to find a site large enough for us to use throughout the East Coast, from Maine to Florida. ONe good way to check is to use either Reserve America or go to the state park's site directly. Most have sites' sizes listed and max RV size allowed per site. Don't be fooled with a pull thru site. Some of them are actually 1/2 circles and are actually less useful for a longer rig than one that goes straight through. I think if you stick to something our size or less you should usually be able to fit. They fill up very quickly in the busy times, however - so be aware that reservations during those times can be really hard to come by if you don't do it well in advance. In our experience, privately owned campgrounds generally are built to accommodate most sized rigs. The restrictions sometimes come from type of rig (some are Class A only), by age (seniors only), age of RV (some do not allow any more than 10 years old) or by breed of dog a camper may have. Size restrictions usually come only from the size of the sites that are available.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Californiaโ€™s limits....https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Many state parks are older built at a time when large RVs were 25 feet long. Add in lots of trees crowding the roads and you get restrictions.