cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Life of AC?

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Our 6 year old Coleman 1350 AC keeps tripping the breaker when the compressor kicks in. The RV shop said the compressor is going and that the life of an AC unit is 3-5 years.

Does this sound right? If so, should I replace with a 1500 unit? Will this cool better? If someone has replaced their ac, what was the cost? ( for reference).

Thanks,

2014 26โ€™ KZ Spree Connect
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow
21 REPLIES 21

MeloyeloCJ7
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced a 7 year old Dometic unit on my TT. Tried to fire it up this year before vacation and it was short cycling as the compressor tried to start about every 5 seconds. It also obviously wasnโ€™t cooling at all either. Dealer said freon had most likely leaked out and wasnโ€™t serviceable. I got the new unit and changed it out myself. Hardest part was getting the new one on the roof.
Me, Wife, dogs
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV-301
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 6.4L 4x4

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is check the compressor capacitor. If that's bad it will cause a high amp draw trying to start. You would think the place you took it to would have check it but you never know.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m 15 years into my current one. Replaced a condenser fan last year finally
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't put $300 into a 6 year old a/c., I put the $10 kit on mine last week. nice
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
A TRUE "soft starter" is much more than just a capacitor. Yes, a bigger capacitor will help, but what you need is some "smart" electronics that limit the current for a second or two until the motor starts spinning before "giving it the gas" !

MicroAir EasyStart

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
When I solar my camper the AC unit was 15 years old. It still worked great.
I would try a new breaker first, that will only cost you about $5 for the breaker and 10 minutes to change it.
There's no way 3 to 5 years is a normal failure time frame.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Put a start kit on it

Start Kit
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I personally will not hookup at the CG pedestal without a quality EMS " electrical management system ", not the cheap ones that merely display an issue but offer no protection.

Most common issue is the AC compressor burns out from low voltage.....yes the breaker does offer some protection but nothing near what a quality EMS can do.

I've been using a progressive industries EMS-PT30X, also here good reviews with Autoformers.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
If it was run on low voltage it could need replaced. Low voltage will destroy a A/C unit.

Tell me about it. LOL.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Check all of your wiring connections in the back of the breaker panel.

Be sure to unplug first.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's possible it's failing but 3-5yrs is no where close to typical.

If you have it plugged in running at home all the time, how are you protecting it from low voltage?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
breaker is cheap change it, just a cheap try. they weaken after being trip alot. lowes home depot.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Life of AC may depend on how it was treated. My 91 is working fine ... I did add a hard start capacitor when it was about 18 years old. If AC is like most things - older units probably have greater life than newer units ... but I have never heard anyone say that life of newer units is 3-5 years. As others have said running AC on low voltage will create issues.
Kevin

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
One MachIII in my small trailer is 16 years old and still working fine.
One Mach III in my big trailer is now 10 years old and doing fine.

I would expect 20 years of life or more.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!