Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lifting Starcraft trailer equipped with Torflex Axle

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

I would like to be able to gain some added ground clearance on my 2010 Starcraft 176RB. Of course it can't be as simple as an axle flip kit. My trailer is equipped with a Dexter Torflex axle...

Is it possible to increase ground clearance with this axle? If so, what are my options.

Thanks,
Daniel
2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 Auto
2010 Starcraft 176 RB
19 REPLIES 19

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
08trdoffroad wrote:
Hello everyone!

I would like to be able to gain some added ground clearance on my 2010 Starcraft 176RB. Of course it can't be as simple as an axle flip kit. My trailer is equipped with a Dexter Torflex axle...

Is it possible to increase ground clearance with this axle? If so, what are my options.

Thanks,
Daniel

Dexter makes several kits.

http://dexteraxle.com/torflex_lift_kit

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
The link below is how I did mine. The way Chucks is done is the best way for someone that doesn't have access to the kind of machines I used .

3 inch lift
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

Jbilski
Explorer
Explorer
I successfully lifted my trailer 6inches this past winter for camping on the beach. We had a machine shop build a frame that was about 5-6feet in length for both sides and had it all welded back on and the trailer has been much better now we have 15inch wheels instead of 13inch it rides better and is the perfect beach bum trailer. It's an antiqua trailer with the torsion suspension.

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
08trdoffroad wrote:
What size tire and rim did you put on?

I ended up getting a set of Hankook RA08 in 195r14 which i believe are close in size to the 205/75/r14. they are a D rated tire as were the original thirteens but being the larger size it gave us a little more weight capacity. Not that I want to overload the axle but the original tires felt really maxed even with empty tanks and no gear.
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Riser "kit" on my Roo 23SS:

Check the axle alignment when making the modification.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to have a block put in between the axle and the frame you may want to have a little longer block welded on to give you a little additional strength in the mounting area. Also, rubber torsion axles don't last forever. If you replace the axle, Flexiride axles have a torsion arms that are splined so that you can adjust the angle of the arm. The arms can work above level (no load), but 22 degrees down is a good starting angle but you can go as far as 45 degrees down.
Also, if the person doing the welding isn't familiar with building trailers, the rubber torsion axles are either bolted or welded, and if they are welded, you only weld around the part of the mount that is normally bolted and outward from there. You don't weld the mount near where the axle tube is welded to the mount. The axle tube needs to be able to flex.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
ryanb-72 wrote:
Our Jayco has torflex axles but are manufactured specifically for the Jayco frame. I looked and researched for some time a way to lift our camper a few inches. The best I could do without MAJOR modifications was bigger wheels and tires. The larger wheels and tires got at least an inch. Not sure if it was worth the money but it is a better feeling having larger wheels and tires going down the road.

Yeah, I am pretty much in the same boat. Our trailer has a side mounted axle with a bolt pattern specifically for Jayco/Starcraft. I have been in contact with Dexter, but I doubt they will come up with anything I haven't found in my searching already. I still need to crawl underneath and get the serial number and and take a picture of how the axle is mounted to the frame to send back to them. But I am almost positive they will just confirm my suspicion that there is no way to lift the trailer with this axle. (which is stupid)

New tires and rims might be the best option. I will probably be replacing the tires before next season anyway as they are starting to show signs of rot from being in the sun (visible cracking in the sidewalls, etc).

What size tire and rim did you put on?
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Because of the profile ST205x14 tires will give you an inch lift over 175x13 typically fitted to Jaycos. If there's room in the wheel wells.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco has torflex axles but are manufactured specifically for the Jayco frame. I looked and researched for some time a way to lift our camper a few inches. The best I could do without MAJOR modifications was bigger wheels and tires. The larger wheels and tires got at least an inch. Not sure if it was worth the money but it is a better feeling having larger wheels and tires going down the road.
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
That would probably work- is yours a Dexter #10, too? (usually stamped on axle center)

Looks a lot like what a previous poster put pics up of...the one thing that may be Casita-specific is the bolt holes. You'd want to measure to make sure those match your bolt patterns. That assumes of course that your axle is bolted rather than welded on as some are.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this on Amazon. I wonder if it would work with my axle...

http://www.amazon.com/Casita-Dexter-Torflex-Torsion-Axle/dp/B0092TU2GM

I would really like the added clearance other areas as well so I am not really interested in just putting casters on the rear portion of the frame, but thanks for the suggestion.
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
My concern about the "wheelie bars" on the bumper is that, for a moment or two, the weight of the entire trailer might be on the hitch and the bumper. Dunno if either would be strong enough...
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On that small a single axle trailer I'd just mount a pair of these on the back. Why make it harder/higher to get into the trailer?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Lower the tongue to raise the rear to get in the driveway.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin