cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at 1971 Jayco Jayking- advice needed

tailgunn
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has offered this trailer for less than $1K, and it looks very good in the pictures. Will probably see it tomorrow. Some other friends have a permanent lake lot where there campers live and we will park it there; maybe tow it short distances occasionally. Wasn't really in the market but seems like it would be better than dealing with a tent. Never had a camper before, and being that it's the same age as me, it surely has a few weak spots.

So, advice on what to look for when I inspect it?
10 REPLIES 10

bbq-breath
Explorer
Explorer
The interior in mine had yellow, brown, and orange flowers. With a yellow floor and orange curtains. Surprisingly though, the cushions held up very well over the years.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy and report back on how it all goes.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

tailgunn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it has a fail-safe chain. The guy I bought it from is going to pull it to the camp site for me as I don't have a hitch at the moment. It seems well-cared for, although I can't say what is inside the walls. It appears the interior is all original, due to the hideous color combos and the flooring design. lol

bbq-breath
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 73 Jayco in recent years. The biggest thing that I noticed was that a majority of the wood framing and plywood within the walls and roof severely dry rotted. The frame and running gear was solid. If it was taken care of, you may have a classic on your hands.

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
The hydraulic surge brake system is still used on trailers today and works well if it is operating properly. It woks well on my 1986 Palomino hard-side.
There should be a breakaway cable that can be pulled that will activate the master cylinder. Jack up each side and spin the wheels. if all is working well, the wheels should be locked up.

If you are going to tow it a short distance and then not move it again, use a full-sized pick-up truck and that should be sufficient if the trailers surge brakes aren't working.

tailgunn
Explorer
Explorer
Inspected it last night. It's a well preseved 70s avocado green. Would have matched my grandparents boat perfectly back in the day. Everything that I need from it works fine; tires are good enough. It has a new AC unit. My girlfriend knows the seller so he was pretty up front with everything.

It has a hydraulic brake system on it- is that normal for a unit this old or did someone retrofit it?

tailgunn
Explorer
Explorer
So I get the feeling I should look at the roof? lol...and be prepared to replace a lot of things. I don't think we really need all that stuff to work, like appliances, etc. We really are just going to put it on a friend's lot at Lake Carlyle. Crickydog you probably know where that is...they have trailers there, that are newer and have better amenities; we generally grill anyway. But, we do want it to be dry. We realy don't care about how well anything else works once we park it. In fact, my girlfriend is now telling me it's really going to be an overflow place to sleep for when we have all the kids, etc. Thanks for the advice.

My girlfriend is a Carbondale grad and so is my youngest brother. She got her BS and law degree, mid to late 90s- the golden years of partying at C'dale!

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
And also be sure to check out the condition of the canvas. Waterproofness can be restored but make sure it isn't wearing thin or has rips and tears in it.

This is definitely the age where I would be suspicious of any appliances and any check out the water system, if equipped. It probably has a hand pump for water and a fresh water tank in one of the bench cabinets.

Make sure the roof goes up and down. Have them show you the whole setup/take-down process.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
tailgunn wrote:
So, advice on what to look for when I inspect it?

Thoroughly inspect he roof, roof, roof, roof, roof, and the roof. And before towing that sucker, be prepared to replace the entire running gear; axles, backing plates, brake electrics including all brake wiring from the 7 way tow vehicle connection back, springs, wheels, and tires. Then if you're still interested, start over at the roof and inspect the trailer completely paying particular attention to any signs of water or water damage in which case, walk away from that sucker. You're gonna have your hands full on this one. Good luck.

SIU Carbondale Alumni, BS, 1980.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
look at the roof!!! Inspect inside (everywhere) for leakage. I also would hook up to electric. Check tires and hitch.