Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at TT for new year

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I am doing some research and starting to look at TT... Would like to know how many of you use a med size TT to park in another state while your home state goes through the winter months?

It will be for just the wife and I, but like to get something to sleep 4....

Like to find one that is lite......

again just the research stage since will be looking at tow vehicles to.
7 REPLIES 7

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to try the bathroom and shower out. It will be cramped, but make sure you can deal with the cramped-ness on both the commode and shower. Small things like being able to reach the TP roll, or stand up fully in the shower due to a skylight make for big improvements in usage.

Oh, camping that long in a rig, you will need to get something longer with slides, or else you will go stir-crazy. A F-150 HD is a decent truck, but I'd go with a 3/4 or one ton for more options and an easier tow, especially in hilly areas.

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice!

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering spending months at a time, definitely spend time in the unit. Imagine your usage, where you will store things including clothes, dishes, pots, pans, food, chairs, wood, anything you can think of. Find the tt you want first, then look for a TV capable of towing that tt gvwr and loaded tongue weight not dry weights. Remember loaded tongue weight should be 13-15% of loaded tt weight (can substitute gvwr for loaded weight when amount of cargo is unknown). There are very few 1500 level trucks capable of bigger trailers but there are a select few that could work. A ford ecoboost with HD towing package and a Toyota tundra with HD towing package are among the more capable. Just pay attention to all towing specs including payload, gvwr, gcwr, and even axle weight ratings not too mention hitch capacities. Not all trucks are created equal. Prime example, I just finished truck shopping. I found that a silverado 3500 duramax short bed crew cab hitch could handle 1500 lb tongue weight whereas same truck but a long bed could handle 2000 lb tongue weight on their respective hitches. That one small spec could ha e prevented me from getting the sabre we want to get later this year. Happy hunting.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Nodding my head in agreement with Dutchmen Sport...wonderful advise!

We just bought our first TT in years after owning a 24 ft 5th wheel.

I would say that consider your needs: Are you going to be doing weekend or week trips? Are you just going to be parking a TT for the season or traveling to various places?

For a lot of traveling and weekend/week trips, a smaller TT would be suitable for your needs. But for extended stays, IMO, a longer TT would be worth it.

Also, if you can afford it, don't skimp on quality. It is the little extras that make a difference, like electric jacks, a solid frame, good flooring, etc.
The difference is price for a model the same size, is usually quality.

Furthermore, consider your tow vehicle. I don't care what the dealer says, a 150/1500 truck is not going to be pulling a 26' or more TT very well..there just isn't the umph on the highway.

Good luck with your search!
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Start visiting various RV dealerships in your area and start browsing the display models. Pick up brochures, take lots of photos, and take notes. Only you can decide what is big enough for your needs, style, model, and expectations.

If you find something you like, spend a little time in it. Try out the bed, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, open the cabinets, relax with a Pepsi, and watch the demo DVD on the television in the unit. If they don't have one in the unit, ask them to put one in the DVD player and spend time enjoying the moment.

When you have the "AH HA! THIS IS IT MOMENT!", you will know it and everything else you look at will pale into oblivion!

Enjoy this part of the process! Ask lots of question form the various dealers. Ask in their opinion why one brand is priced so much more than another, or one model costs more than another model, that looks almost identical from a different manufacture. Ask everything!

This is probably the best way. We looked for 2 years for our first TT. We looked for 2 years for our second TT. We looked for 2 years for our 3rd TT, and we ended up with a different (3rd) trailer than what we originally thought we wanted ... the one we ended up with WAS BETTER! Reason why? We explained to the dealer what we were describing our "wish list", not what we THOUGHT we wanted. He was right dead-on! He read through us better than we did ourselves!

Enjoy these times and have fun!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I have a 25 footer that we winter in for four months.
To us it has all the comforts of home.
It has a bath with shower and lavatory and a kitchen with all you would have in your home kitchen, plus heat and AC.
The bedroom has a queen size bed, but then if we had two other guests, we have a sofa that opens into a bed, and the dinette makes into another bed.

I would not want anything bigger

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds thousands of them.