cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Dry Weight info on older Palomino Mini

BMW442
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody, long time reader first time poster.

I recently found an old Palomino pop-up that looks like mid-to-late eighties. It's missing the sticker, current owner knows nothing about it, but it's in surprisingly decent shape and very cheap. From googling and looking at old pics I *think* it is a Mini L model, made for small trucks.

I have a 2001 f-150, but its the rare 7700 HD model, essentially a 2000 f-250.
It has a listed rear GAWR of 4800, and I have E series tires on it.

I'm assuming it should be able to handle the camper fine, but am wondering if anybody here has a similar model and knows what the weight is. Or if anybody has a link to specs for it.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!!
5 REPLIES 5

BMW442
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's about what I figured, somewhere between 1000-1200# dry

I looked at it again today, it's a "Mini L" model which was manufactured 1984-1992

Based on the serial number & overall style I think it is an '85 but am not positive

Should be able to haul it just fine, there's about 5" overhang off the bed which is no big deal. I'll have to build some kind of riser to get it 6 inches taller for it to clear the side walls & top of the cab, but that shouldn't be too tough.

I've been casually looking for a truck camper for about 5 years now but just haven't found the right size/price/etc, hopefully this will pan out! If so I will post some pics too...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's for the mini trucks, it will probably be something like the current SS-600 model, which weighs around 1100lbs.

You've got more than enough truck for it, probably close to 2000lbs payload capacity as it sits.

Yesterday we had a guy who runs around with a Lance 815 on the back of his Tundra, and claims no issues. If you can't haul a camper made to fit a Ford Ranger around on one of those HD F150's, we all may as well give up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BMW442
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help guys!

I checked the NADA site but unfortunately they only have weights for the trailers, not the truck campers.
Emailed the company direct though we'll see if they get back to me.

Will definitely get the truck weighed and see what's up, I think/hope it'll work fine.

Going to look at it again today to take some measurements, I think I will have to build some sort of box riser to make it fit back there, but then I can use that for extra storage.

Will let you know if I pick it up!

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea to take your truck to a CAT scale with and without the camper. The rear drive weight with the camper and whatever you stick inside needs to be less than the combined load capacity of the two rear tires.

Ballpark figure 6000 for the tire capacity less 2500 lbs at rear of truck for a payload of 3500 lbs. which is going to be a lot less than the weight of the camper.

Secondary factors are whether the stock suspension can handle the weight and the factory shocks but you can easily add Supersprings to the rear and upgrade the shock. In some cases a rear anti-sway bar can help with handling.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
NADA's webpage for Palomino lists dry weights for every year/model produced beginning in the early 1970's. A quick look gives me the impression that they didn't put out anything much over 2,000 pounds during the 1980's. Your Ford could probably pull two or three of them at a time! 😉

For a closer look, just select the various years at this NADA "Palomino" page.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien