cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a ightweight, modest travel trailer

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get my first trailer. I have two kids, and none of us want to share a bed so it needs to have three separate sleeping places. I am super lazy, so would prefer those sleeping places be permanent-beds, because I know that once turned into a bed at a campground, that is how it will stay until we get home. I've got a 5000lb tow capacity (2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD), so don't want to go much over 3500lb GVWR. I realize that most people want a larger trailer after a while, but given that my kids will grow up and likely stop camping with me, I'm more likely to downsize in the future.

It seems like there are a few models with very similar floor plans, bunk beds and a queen... Jayco (174bh... previously 184bh?), Coachmen Clipper 17bh, Coachmen Apex Nano 185bh, a couple of others, too (I found one with a slideout, but still sub-3500lbs gross, but now I can't find it) then maybe a Forest River RP-172 and I don't know what else to consider.

I'm such a newbie I can barely differentiate any of these. I want to keep it around the $15k range, and I know I'll need to get things that don't come with them, like sway bars, weight distribution hitch, bits and whatnot that I didn't know I needed, other things I'll think I need that are totally useless, etc etc.

I'm open to all sorts of advice (though telling me I need a bigger and better tow vehicle has to fall on deaf ears, because reality; telling me I have to get a pop-up will make me cry). My current obsession is about how to choose among the available options, and whether any are a particularly poor choice.
92 REPLIES 92

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well done!! A great choice -- I wish you safe traveling!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Look at R-Pod.

Why? :h The OP has said they made their decision and bought a "3year old used Riverside RV Whitewater Retro 155xl".
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Look at R-Pod. A few of the models have bunks.

R-Pod
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
No reality. We compromised. I do think that the small single axle bunkhouse models would work, too, but some additional constraints I discovered about myself had me walk away from them when faced with actually considering buying one. Same for a pop up.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
In what reality are you expecting to fit 3 people with their own bed and 2 midsize dogs in that?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
this has popup written all over it.

Nah.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
this has popup written all over it.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations on your new TT.

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway, I'm thrilled with the Retro. We'll see how much we love being so close for a week next week...

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, though a far as I can tell, Pacific Coachworks is just using the Northland name for Campingworld-specific models. This unit seemed identical to the Econ 16bb, or at least, more or less.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Good choice.

From what I could tell, Pacific CoachWorks bought the Northland company/factory, then closed down the factory in Idaho where the small trailers were built.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd post a quick update:

I decided against the new Pacific Coachworks Northland 16bb (Campingworld) that I looked at and seriously considered, and went with big compromises on my space preferences. Bought a 3year old used Riverside RV Whitewater Retro 155xl- super light (~2100lbs dry), good cargo capacity (3500lb GVWR, though without loading up on bricks it's unclear how one might fit 1400lbs of stuff in this trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ironically, we have a 25 gallon black tank on our little trailer, which is about ten gallons more than we have ever needed -- it would be nice if our 25 gallon gray water tank were a 35 gallon tank. But that is not realistic -- the tanks are mounted between the frame members of the chassis, and there is only so much room in each of the spaces.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape Dave wrote:
I was not referring to to popups but the same trailer as mine with the same toilet and no special base. I was just letting the person know to check the size of the tanks as some salesmen never mention it especially when I was shopping for one, sorry you took the joke thing offensively!

No offense taken, I was just pointing out that there's good reason manufacturers may sometimes install a flush toilet with a meagre 9 gal waste tank - lack of underfloor space to install a more conventional 25+ gal BW waste tank. The Dometic Sealand 712 was the toilet used by Fleetwood in their Highlander series, the same toilet still used by other manufacturers in some small travel trailers since no underfloor waste tank is required. I agree, salesmen should mention the small tank size ... regardless, the use of these toilets in some trailers is intentional, not something done to cut costs or to trick a prospective buyer. As I said, the devil is in the details and with the state of the RV industry being what it is the more any prospective owner understands about any unit they may be interested in the more likely it is they'll actually get what they're looking for.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380