cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get into Rv'ing but have questions.

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Spouse and I would like to start RV'ing but we are both a little timid with how to get into it. We have been to a couple of RV shows and have a local dealer here who seems really straightforward to deal with. BUT, I have a few questions.

1. We have a Toyota Tundra 4.6L V8, specs are it tows 6800 pounds, we are looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS which is around 3700 pounds. I am pretty sure this is going to be no problem?

2. Is the Micro Minnie 2106FBS a good buy? Is it a good buy for around 25000 dollars. This is walk out the door price including brake kit, stabilizer bars and everything else.

3. This model kind of fits our needs and what we are looking for but is there anything else we might look at, brand wise?

4. IS there a good website or FAQ here which I might investigate for more info?

5. Just in general, is there anything you wish you had known about RV'ing before you got into it, that you could relate. Impart your rv'ing wisdoms please! 😄

Thanks much in advance,

BragaPulls
38 REPLIES 38

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
must add
you are in the right place for wealth of info and help.
do not take the dealers word on anything, please take the time to post any questions BEFORE buying.
to many have bought something then ask if they can pull it, only to find out NO
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on everything said
we rented 3x before buying used.

motorhome
5th wheel
TT
5th wheel
loved all
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Think about trying to get something like a used A-liner hardside pop-up. Use it to get your start in camping to see if you like it. They are easy to sell used if you decide on something else later.

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest bit of advice I am seeing is Buy Used. Second bit is 25k is way too much which I agree with. 🙂

Now that we have the truck, renting might not be a bad idea.

Thanks much for the advice all!

I guess at this point, might I ask if there is a reliable used dealer in the SE?. Specifically around Georgia?

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
buy used. buy used. buy used. You will lose a ton of money if after a year you are not happy with it. We bought a clean used trailer and have already started a list of must have's for the next trailer.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
$25k for a TT that size is way too much. Otherwise go have fun
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try renting an RV for a couple of weekends to see if you like it. Rental is not cheap BUT is it cheaper than borrowing money to pay for an RV that you don't want to use.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I started with a tent. Decided I was tired of getting up off the floor in the mornings and in 2005 bought a used 1990's TT. Towing with a 1/2 ton with 9000# towing capacity. The trailer weight was 8000#. The wife didn't like it. Said it was too big. Two weeks later traded for new 19ft TT 7700# and towed it with the 1/2 ton with little to no problems for 10 years.

Traded for a bigger used trailer that fits our needs better at this time. The 1/2 ton was having trouble towing it. Got a bigger truck.

I guess what I'm saying is be prepared to either get a new camper or a new truck if your current truck/camper isn't what works for you or you outgrow one or the other or they outgrow you.

Sources: Trailer Life (web site or magazine), TT manufacturers web sites, google for RV topics.

Importantly, have fun..........
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BragaPulls wrote:
Spouse and I would like to start RV'ing but we are both a little timid with how to get into it. We have been to a couple of RV shows and have a local dealer here who seems really straightforward to deal with. BUT, I have a few questions.

1. We have a Toyota Tundra 4.6L V8, specs are it tows 6800 pounds, we are looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS which is around 3700 pounds. I am pretty sure this is going to be no problem?

2. Is the Micro Minnie 2106FBS a good buy? Is it a good buy for around 25000 dollars. This is walk out the door price including brake kit, stabilizer bars and everything else.

3. This model kind of fits our needs and what we are looking for but is there anything else we might look at, brand wise?

4. IS there a good website or FAQ here which I might investigate for more info?

5. Just in general, is there anything you wish you had known about RV'ing before you got into it, that you could relate. Impart your rv'ing wisdoms please! 😄

Thanks much in advance,

BragaPulls
My advice... Don't start out with a brand new TT.
How you imagine using it now, will likely be way different from how you will actually use it.
Buying used and trying it out for a couple of years will allow you to make a much better decision in choosing your second, NEW TT. It will also allow you to avoid the huge depreciation hit on your first TT, which may keep you from being able to buy the second TT
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW