cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best air chucks for Ram DRW

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Need to buy the best air chuck for the Ram DRWs for my compressor at home and lighter weight on for the road. Truck has ALCOA wheels on outers but both are a pain in the butt to seat properly to inflate.
17 REPLIES 17

Ohio_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
Key to avoiding problems with hose extensions is to ensure the outer end is FIRMLY fastened down. Clips, springs and rubber donuts do not IMO create a firm attachment point.

Here the end "L" mounts are pop riveted to the hubcap and
has worked for almost 30k miles so far with no leaks.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the valuable info...

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
towpro wrote:
look for one with a straight end.
this one is called Milton MILS693

That's the same on I use on my dually. Works great.

X3

With duallies, or any large trucks, my suggestion (from on the road hard knock lessons) is to always carry extra valve cores, valve core removal tool and the ability to put air into the tires, if needed. Don't check your air pressure in areas or times you don't have the aforementioned items, in case your valve core sticks open and air pressure releases uncontrolled. Time, moisture (inside of tire), road debris can and does stick into these valves. Having a flat/reduced inflated tire is a terrible thing out in the middle of nowhere.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
All the flexible extensions, including equalizers bring high risk of leaks.
I lost a tire due to leak on equalizer and now don't use them without tire pressure monitoring.
Than IMHO dually equalizer with TPMS on top is the best thing you can have.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
To further expound on the OP's question, what are you guys using as far as an extension to the inner dual wheel valve stem? I have no experience with these, but have questions as to reliability and ease of use. I too have the Alcoa wheels so this particular example may not work, but you get the drift. Anyone using something like these steel braided lines on Alcoa wheels with success?

ETrailer hose inflation kit

2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Ugh!! No! Say it isn't so!! Snap-On???
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
burningman wrote:
If you want the best chuck (or best anything), don't buy Harbor Freight. That's where you go for the cheapest Chinese stuff.
This one is quality:
Snap-On

Did you read the small print on Snap-on package?
Does it say "Made in China" ?

on that same page, click on specifications.
country of origin = TWN
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried the cheaper ones (some even highly rated on Amazon)..they're junk. I bought a Milton S-516 and haven't looked back. Its pricey but built like a tank and accurate. Makes filling my dually a snap.
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
If you want the best chuck (or best anything), don't buy Harbor Freight. That's where you go for the cheapest Chinese stuff.
This one is quality:
Snap-On

Did you read the small print on Snap-on package?
Does it say "Made in China" ?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
towpro wrote:
look for one with a straight end.
this one is called Milton MILS693

That's the same on I use on my dually. Works great.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
This one is quality:
Snap-On
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I have one similar to that Harbor Freight chuck and my built in gauge is also out. Reads about 5 psi low. Still the best dually chuck I've used though.

Bedlam
I use this one from Harbor Freight but found the built-in pressure gauge is off. I use my accurate digital gauge on the outside tire to get the compensation value for the HF gauge and then check the inside tire with the HF gauge compensated.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-set-with-hose-3-pc-61380.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
using the straight head adapter and 1" valve extensions I don't have to pull caps or simulators, it works right through the holes in rim.

I had a harbor freight inflation but everything they sell is the bent head inflation, than the hose pulled off within 6 months.,

Here is a digital gauge that has the straight head.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.