cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get into Rv'ing but have questions.

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Spouse and I would like to start RV'ing but we are both a little timid with how to get into it. We have been to a couple of RV shows and have a local dealer here who seems really straightforward to deal with. BUT, I have a few questions.

1. We have a Toyota Tundra 4.6L V8, specs are it tows 6800 pounds, we are looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS which is around 3700 pounds. I am pretty sure this is going to be no problem?

2. Is the Micro Minnie 2106FBS a good buy? Is it a good buy for around 25000 dollars. This is walk out the door price including brake kit, stabilizer bars and everything else.

3. This model kind of fits our needs and what we are looking for but is there anything else we might look at, brand wise?

4. IS there a good website or FAQ here which I might investigate for more info?

5. Just in general, is there anything you wish you had known about RV'ing before you got into it, that you could relate. Impart your rv'ing wisdoms please! 😄

Thanks much in advance,

BragaPulls
38 REPLIES 38

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rough calculations put it at 5200 pounds. Dogs and people and blankets and incidentals and all. Does that sound right?

You need to work on payload capacity numbers with your truck, not "Towing specs" or trailer's GVWR. This gets into tongue weight, weight of cargo and passengers, and the truck's payload capacity. There should be a sticker on the driver's side door jamb stating, "all weight of passengers and cargo not to exceed..." or similar. That is the important part of estimating the vehicle's worthiness to pull the weight, not the printed "Towing capacity".

With a Tundra you should be OK but I don't know the exact numbers and I think you'll find that after you load all the gear and cargo into the trailer, your tongue weight will increase. Adding in the passenger and cargo weight into the truck, you'll see that you are now approaching the payload capacity of the truck. There may not be enough capacity left for that 500lb. load of firewood you planned to carry. 😉
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
As far as pricing goes...a) get a Costco Membership. b) Go on the Costco website: "www.costcoauto.com/rv/", and send an email saying what RV/trailer you want. You'll soon hear from a Costco partner RV dealer closest to you. c) You may have to drive a bit to go pick it up (for example, I had to drive to Dayton, Ohio for mine), but you'll be buying near wholesale and be saving HUGE dollars. d) Use the trailer for a few years and sell it for what you paid (or maybe even make some money), instead of immediately losing a ton of money the moment you pull away from the local dealership. Thank you Costco!! :B
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
BragaPulls, have you made a decision yet?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
After boating for years in a 31' sloop, we decided it was time to sell it and go for a land yacht, so we could see something more than water. We rented a 27' class C and traveled for a couple weeks, just to see if we could stand that much closeness. No problem. About a year of research then ensued, until we finally settled on a brand new 2004 Itasca 32' Sunrise (Winnebago). We still have her. With minimal maintenance issues, and only one major modification (a Banks system) she has held up and done everything we needed. I love her.

But WLToo's Parkinsons caused him to think it's too hard for him to drive L'Andante, and he doesn't want me to do all the driving (I don't mind). So we charged back into research. Wound up with a used 2014 F-350 (my first used vehicle of any kind), and a brand new Rockwood 33' 2906WS. Because it's a completely new model, there are warranty issues to be dealt with, and then we'll make modifications to suit us.

In comparing the Itasca (Winnebago Industries) and the Rockwood (Forest River Industries), my quality stamp of approval goes overwhelmingly to Winnebago. Steinholz is reasonably comfy, easy to tow, and has all the modern bells and whistles that L'Andante doesn't, but it's not my first love. Just for WLToo's sake, Steinholz is going to be the long distance RV. I'm keeping L'Andante for the short distance trips and for emergency evacuation (we live in a wildfire area).

Bottom line (my opinion, for what it's worth): a new or lightly used Winnebago product will give you the fewest headaches as you develop your RV experience.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

TSeck
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have 0 kids and a couple of dogs, that makes it easier. Once the family grows it gets more complicated. We started with tents (scouts) then bought a used pop-up (with A/C) which worked when they were small, then a little bigger hard side, then a ginormous 34 bunk house and finally settled on a smaller ultra-lite. Needs change, finances change, etc.

I like the idea of a used camper 2-3 years old. Have a pre-purchase performed and enjoy. If you really like the lifestyle, the next one will be new and more modern with advanced technology and less maintenance. You'll get a better idea on just how much you'll use it, where you like go (that will impact the tow vehicle and wether its an all-season or not) and how long you like to stay.

I think your on the right track in doing your home work, asking questions and going slowly. This a great forum and even an old fart like means learns something new every time I log on.

Good luck and enjoy!
N. Fla. Family of 6 (2 Eagle Scouts!)
Looking at full time RV after retirement in 3 years.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We looked at new travel trailers when we first got into this lifestyle. We rented a 19 footer for a 10 day trip, and found out things we wanted and things we didn't need. We ended up with a new Nash 22H, sold that and moved to a larger high dollar unit (which we crashed), then bought a very slightly used 3 year old TT, which we've pulled all over the west.
One issue (to me) is the fact that folks spend large amounts of money for a unit that sits alongside the house for most of the time because folks work. Is the high cost worth it?
Importantly, remember a salesperson is there to sell you his product--and will tell you fibs to get your pocketbook loosened up. Someone on this forum has the info you will find helpful because we've pretty much been where you are right now.
We would rather RV then motel it. It's just our way of enjoying the country we live in, so come on out!

stpauligirlmn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any great wisdom to impart, but I read your post and was just excited for you. What a fun, happy, exciting new adventure! Unlike many on these boards, my hubby and I started camping/rv,ine after our kids were grown. We have had a blast hauling around to the nearby state parks, riding our bikes, going for hikes, and reading peacefully around the campsite.

Enjoy!!! ((I'm in the buy new group. Who needs the headache?)

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has generally not been quite the same as some who've posted on this thread.

We made our first, and so far only, RV TT purchase in 2010. We did buy used but found a very nice 3 year old TT. A bit on the heavier side with a slide-out but it fits us well. I wasn't worried so much about depreciation of why we didn't go with new, what concerned me was not knowing was price to settle on when buying new so as we didn't get taken advantage of. Biggest advice I can give is be very contentious about floor plan to make sure it fits you and then go with a decent build known for quality.

Now that we have been doing the RV thing for 6 years, I feel very comfortable with moving forward trying to work out a deal on a new RV when we choose to sell our current TT and go to a truck camper in 5-6 years. What I haven't seen mentioned in any of the previous posts is what price to go for on new RVs. What I have gathered over the last six years is that many, many people recommend buying new RVs at about 65-70 percent of the MSRP pricing. Keep in mind there can be many factors as to if you can do this good, or even better, but that is what I would shoot for probably offering 60 percent of the MSRP for my first offer and then work from there. Of course timing, demand, new models, ordering a RV, stock on hand all play into what is the best deal you can negotiate on a new RV. Used will be a bit harder to understand current market value as it will be hard to find an exact like for like RV, in you area, for true price comparison. As in any price negotiation, don't get emotional.
I love me some land yachting

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for buying new. I like RVing, not Repairing. I know what people do to rigs that they are selling. I would rather have a new $20,000 unit than pay $20,000 for something that used to be $30,000. All of that is a personal thing based on age, finances, mechanical ability, etc. Nobody on here knows that much about you. Renting is a great way to test yourself and your partner. Camping fun is more about you than about your rig.

rcknrbn
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Another thing. Almost everyone on these forums will pretty much agree, it takes 3 RV purchases to finally get the one that you really wanted. So, usually, first time RVers trade camper within 2-3 years after their first purchase.

Still.... I'm one of those folks that still buy new. I DO understand the depreciation concept, and it's the price I AM willing to pay. I simply do not want to purchase used. The whole thought of used is just creepy to me!

This.

I got on this forum this morning to review the topic of new vs used as we are about to get back into it after a 2 year break to deal with family issues, job issues, etc. (and we miss it terribly).

- 1st used trailer - 1995 Terry, first year they put on rubber roofs. Single slide. It all leaked terribly. Slide was totally rotted out and I had to rebuild the entire thing.

- 2nd used trailer - 2003 Trailbay. Fiberglass side walls developed heavy delamination

- 3rd used - 2008 Fleetwood Regal 5th wheel (parked at a camp on the lake so it didn't go anywhere). Was a real maintenance challenge - something major was breaking or failing once a month.

Which brings me back to the above poster. Even with the massive depreciation hit, it is something I'm willing to take the hit since it is something we will keep for several years.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
You've actually picked a pretty good floorplan from a very reputable manufacturer. The new/used discussion is something to consider but be aware that the Winnie will hold value a lot better than many other brands. I'm an advocate of trying to find a well taken care of used unit but wouldn't have a problem buying the Winnie new.

You look to be in good shape weight wise as long as you don't get stupid with loading the rig. Check the cargo capacity of your truck but I suspect it's in the 1200-1600 pound range and should be just fine with 500-600 pounds of tongue weight.

I'd be careful about getting one in one of the wild colors they offer. It might suit your style and personality but could cause a problem a few years down the road when you're looking to sell it. Bright colors might not be in fashion then. I also might rethink the instant hot water. They're relatively new technology in RVs and the old reliable gas/electric 6 gallons water heaters have been around forever. Parts might be an issue. I guess I just don't know enough about them so I'd stick with the tried and tested.

The price you mentioned is a little on the high side but I've found that most dealers don't discount a lot on the Winnebagos. Good luck and have fun. And never, never trust an RV sales person. Some will steer you wrong just to sell the unit, some just don't know anything about towing or using an RV. Not saying they're all bad but there's no way to tell one from the other. Kind of like an internet forum, about half the info you get is trash. You have to figure out which half. :h
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my advice. First, make sure you look at as many different units as possible. I'm not that familiar with the unit you're interested in but small TT can be bought dirt cheap. Second, you're doing the right thing by asking questions on here. There is a huge markup on campers and the MSRP is a fictional number. It's common to get 20 to 30 percent off of MSRP. Also, when you talk to the salesperson, use some of the terms you learn on here and tell them that you are somewhat familiar with campers and have owned one before. If you let them know you are new, they will be like sharks in the water trying to overcharge you for whatever they have on their lot. My brother in law and his wife just bought a trailer and don't know anything about them. The salesman broke it off in them to the tune of 16,000 for a strip down 22 ff trailer for them and two kids. They might as well had bought a tent because they will be miserable cramped in that small trailer. A quick 20 minute Google search found the same trailer he bought for 5 grand less than he paid and that is Without even any negotiation. The salesman saw an easy target and jumped on them.

Rumtan
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing about buying new is its completely yours, and by that I mean you can stock it and leave stocked with your personal weekend/camping gear, bedding and know its all together. We liked our used trailer that we started with but unbeknownst to us the floor was rotten and unrepairable for us to do. If you are planning on buying new then I suggest borrowing or renting for a weekend or two just to get the feel. It will let you know what you like and dislike, and can plan your purchase accordingly.

I would hate for you to jump in with both feet and find you bought the wrong trailer for your use. We started with a 19 ft Bigfoot that my DW hated and moved up to a 21 1/2 ft Palamino which still didnt satisfy her space needs (it didnt have a slide) but the size of trailer was all I could tow at that time. I finally broke down and bought a new Passport and havent looked back since. But thats our story, your about to embark on your story and we wish you the best.
2013 Keystone Passport 2100RB
2015 F150 ecoboost
Fish-O-Holic;)

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah thanks all for the discussion on GVWR and Dry weight. I have done some research, even called winnebago to discuss the difference. If I remember the winnebago rep correctly, the dry weight was the weight of the RV minus any other things like water and stabilizer bars and the like. The GVWR was how much the whole RV trailer would carry, as if I filled it with a bunch of sand.

Since the Micro Minnie falls almost 3k pounds under the tow rating of the Tundra we figured even with all the incidentals we wouldn't break it.

I wonder if they will let you test haul one before you buy it. Would kind of stink to purchase one and then not be able to tow it off the lot.

And yeah GMW Photos, we have been investigating things since last year. Looking at different models, options, and the like.

One thing we KNOW we need is a bed where people can get off on either side. No crawling over one another in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. So that discounts a lot of them.

We'd LIKE a table like in the 2201DS but its not a must.

I like the bathroom better in the 2201DS but it's not a must.

We both dislike the center console TV thing in the 2201DS which sits at the foot of the mattress. It feels like it encloses the bedroom too much. One we seldom watch tv anymore even on vacation and if we did we'd just use the internet.

We are going tankless so we wont need to carry water all the time. Or will we? The 31 gallon fresh water tank means 257 pounds of extra weight IF we were hauling it. I thought to get one of those rolling containers for hauling water and maybe keep 10 gallons (80 pounds) in the truck bed fir, just in case, don't have a water hookup for a bit. Both my wife and I have done the low water usage thing before.

so let's see..

rough calculations put it at 5200 pounds. Dogs and people and blankets and incidentals and all. Does that sound right?

And again, thanks all for the info. Learning much!