cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manufacturer recommendation

calidel
Explorer
Explorer
my husband and I have four children ages 4-8 and we want to buy a used trailer in the $10,000 range. we will be full-time camping across America for about a year and roadschooling.
we know we want a quad bunk room on one side with a queen bed on the other side and a middle slide for the living area. I could add more options I'd like to see but the more I add the more I make it difficult to find a reasonably priced trailer. My main reason for posting here is to find out manufacturer's I should avoid or seek out. If there is a good resource for used and new trailer reviews and how well they last I'd like to know. I don't need luxury but I do need enough quality to stand up to full-time living in and four children.
I know of other options I want to have and I'm curious to hear your recommendations as well. If there is already a post on this topic please direct me to it. We plan on purchasing a suburban or excursion with maximum available towing capacity. thank you in advance for your time and thought!
6 REPLIES 6

Itisme
Explorer
Explorer
OP - check out wild wood haritage glen lite 300BH. The 2014 we purchased was cheaper than the 2013 models. You would probably need the excursion like you mentioned. You could probably get one for 25.9k on the Internet. Make sure you get 2 AC units, and the outside kitchen (refrig) would probably be needed as well.
2014 Forest River Wildwood Haritage Glen 300BH
1996 C2500 454, 74000 miles (making due for now)
1996 32' prowler (retired)

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
First - Welcome... We dont say that enough around here. 😉

Used: You might be able to find a good used unit in your budget but then your selection is going to me more about finding a unit that is in good condition now than a particular brand IMHO. If you find one you really like then come back here a do a search for it. But always be aware that folks are often more likely to complain than they are to praise.... Factors like Thermal/Arctic packages might not be available in used units and that is maybe important if you are fulltiming in the north. In the end we went with a new unit. Not saying that finding a good used unit that fits your critera can't be done - but be very very careful inspecting anything used.

New: A 20K unit that fits the bill might be doable. At least in my area - the one I just ordered from the factory (in my sig) was pretty close to your number (gotta allow for tax, title, "stuff", and a hitch in my case). But a unit like mine might not be great for full timing - especially in cold weather - unless you got one with all of the cold weather options (Arctic/Polar packages and thermal windows - which can increase the price. I do agree that finding what you want in less than 35 feet is goin to be a challenge but for long term use you probably want the space...

You didn't ask this but I have to mention it: Have you figured out what you are towing with? Don't want to open a off-topic can of worms but if you can - decide what TT you want and then get a Towing Vehicle that can do the job. Otherwise do a lot of reading here on these boards - there is a lot of information and opinion that can help you avoid towing issues.

Welcome again! Best of luck!
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crew cab truck with a front bench seat is a six seater. With your budget it appears your heading toward a E350 ford van or similar GM variant. Be aware none of the vans are going to pull the size of trailer you will want/need for a family of six. Might be time for you to have a reality check concerning your budget and with what sort of vehicle your going to pull with. While it is doable, it is going to be really tight all the way around. I'm thinking you will be ready to kill each other after just a few weeks of this. What is your reasons for this life change?
BTW. Helped a family of five out last winter who were full timing. Three girls 14,11,8 as I remember. They were in a 39 foot Montana and it was so crowded and overloaded there was hardly any room to turn around.

calidel
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the feedback so far. if new or a really nice used unit we're willing to go up to $20,000. the entry costs of a fifth wheel are higher, they're less available and we can't fit 4 kids in the back of a truck so we opted for the travel trailer route. I will check out northwood and arctic fox. we plan to stay in warm weather. we're leaving Minnesota permanently.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
my husband and I have four children ages 4-8 and we want to buy a used trailer in the $10,000 range. we will be full-time camping across America for about a year and roadschooling.
we know we want a quad bunk room on one side with a queen bed on the other side and a middle slide for the living area. I could add more options I'd like to see but the more I add the more I make it difficult to find a reasonably priced trailer. My main reason for posting here is to find out manufacturer's I should avoid or seek out. If there is a good resource for used and new trailer reviews and how well they last I'd like to know. I don't need luxury but I do need enough quality to stand up to full-time living in and four children.
I know of other options I want to have and I'm curious to hear your recommendations as well. If there is already a post on this topic please direct me to it. We plan on purchasing a suburban or excursion with maximum available towing capacity. thank you in advance for your time and thought!

There are a lot of bunkhouses that will probably work. Most new will cost more than your budget; used you might find something but then you are more at the mercy of what is available and is in good condition. There is a difference between something used for occasional weekend useage and a trailer for full time living for a year or so. Lots ot things to consider like fresh water capacity; grey and black capacity; solar; generator; the ability of the coach to be a 'four season unit'; condenation issues; and, of course, size. If you can handle the weight of an Arctic Fox, as mentioned previously, that would be a good start but you may find the limit of around $10,000 a challenge.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northwood makes some good quality trailers. But IMHO your going to have trouble finding what you want in anything under 35 feet. Consider a bunk house fifth wheel, a crew cab dually truck to pull it with.